Silkie thread!

Silkies are funny indeed -- Our Partridge Silkie always uses the nestbox but we have our littlest Black Silkie who can get creative about where she lays her eggs or drops them as she's walking!!! Other times the little Black Silkie will complain all morning long until she finally settles in a nestbox to lay an egg and then she complains more after the Partridge sits on the egg! Silkies love to steal other eggs to brood!

Haha how cute, it must be a silkie thing!! Yeah my girls are quite noisy these days too

X2. Silkies mixed with large fowl is asking for trouble, a single Silkie in a flock of large fowl is begging for it.

We have 4 hyline chickens and 1 rescue orpington (I think, not 100% sure), and another big-ish brown hen. Earlier in the year we had two silkies but one was a roo so we couldn't keep him, so then we just had the one girl. When we had our roo, he kept the other girls in line so she was ok and ever since she started laying eggs she actually became really tough and really hold her own. So I don't know if its our flock composition or what but she was totally okay by herself.

Then I got my 3 new silkies (the ones who laid the eggs today!!) and I always kept them separated when feeding etc but lately they've all been co-existing quite nicely. They have their own coop in the shared run area but at night if I let them decide where to sleep they will go with the other girls!! Before this happened they were too scared to eat together with the other hens but now they don't really get bullied at all (except by the orpington who is a bit mean, but she won't peck them seriously its only a warning kind of peck).

So yeah, I don't know if my other girls are "large fowl" but Ive never had a problem personally with mixing them!

We have 4 hyline chickens and 1 rescue orpington (I think, not 100% sure), and another big-ish brown hen. Earlier in the year we had two silkies but one was a roo so we couldn't keep him, so then we just had the one girl. When we had our roo, he kept the other girls in line so she was ok and ever since she started laying eggs she actually became really tough and really hold her own. So I don't know if its our flock composition or what but she was totally okay by herself.

Then I got my 3 new silkies (the ones who laid the eggs today!!) and I always kept them separated when feeding etc but lately they've all been co-existing quite nicely. They have their own coop in the shared run area but at night if I let them decide where to sleep they will go with the other girls!! Before this happened they were too scared to eat together with the other hens but now they don't really get bullied at all (except by the orpington who is a bit mean, but she won't peck them seriously its only a warning kind of peck).

So yeah, I don't know if my other girls are "large fowl" but Ive never had a problem personally with mixing them!

We have a small backyard and zoned for 5 hens/no roos so we have to get creative in choosing what breeds will co-exist in our backyard with no roo to keep the peace. We had a mean 7-lb Marans who challenged the 4.5-lb White Leghorn but the little Leg put the Marans in her place because Legs are assertive and stand up to challengers. Then the Marans turned to the Silkies so vicious that we re-homed her out of the yard. We next had to re-home the White Leg. A Buff Leghorn we thought would be gentler but at one-year she harassed the Silkies and Ameraucana by chasing them, pulling out their crests and beards, so we re-homed her too. We were left with 2 Silkies and a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and added a Blue Breda and these 4 girls were the ideal gentle flock. It was sad to lose the Blue Breda and Ameraucana so we now have a gentle Cuckoo Breda pullet to add to the Silkies. Next Spring we want to add a lighter-weight Dominique which we've had before and like the Dom for being smaller than the large dual purpose Barred Rocks who might get tempted to bully. Large fowl even if gentle tempered can be tempted to bully smaller Silkies once they find the Silkies are too small/docile to fight back. When my large fowl were pullets they got along with the Silkies. Once the large heavier fowl reached 18 months to 2 years they started to get too assertive toward the littles. My friend also found the same circumstance in her larger flock of 16 hens/no roos. People say having a roo keeps flock peace but we aren't allowed roos and have to get innovative about the breeds we mingle in the yard.

We have a small backyard and zoned for 5 hens/no roos so we have to get creative in choosing what breeds will co-exist in our backyard with no roo to keep the peace. We had a mean 7-lb Marans who challenged the 4.5-lb White Leghorn but the little Leg put the Marans in her place because Legs are assertive and stand up to challengers. Then the Marans turned to the Silkies so vicious that we re-homed her out of the yard. We next had to re-home the White Leg. A Buff Leghorn we thought would be gentler but at one-year she harassed the Silkies and Ameraucana by chasing them, pulling out their crests and beards, so we re-homed her too. We were left with 2 Silkies and a Blue Wheaten Ameraucana and added a Blue Breda and these 4 girls were the ideal gentle flock. It was sad to lose the Blue Breda and Ameraucana so we now have a gentle Cuckoo Breda pullet to add to the Silkies. Next Spring we want to add a lighter-weight Dominique which we've had before and like the Dom for being smaller than the large dual purpose Barred Rocks who might get tempted to bully. Large fowl even if gentle tempered can be tempted to bully smaller Silkies once they find the Silkies are too small/docile to fight back. When my large fowl were pullets they got along with the Silkies. Once the large heavier fowl reached 18 months to 2 years they started to get too assertive toward the littles. My friend also found the same circumstance in her larger flock of 16 hens/no roos. People say having a roo keeps flock peace but we aren't allowed roos and have to get innovative about the breeds we mingle in the yard.

That's good to know I was trying to decide it I wonted rooster!! I found out after I bought my regular chickens and built my coop where I live requires 5 acres to have chickens!! Why do chickens need 5 acres who the heck know?? 2 blocks for my house is the city where they have very small yards and they are aloud to have 6!! my back yard is 80 by 128 and they are perfectly happy!! so my friend told me to put my daughter in 4-H because the county is big on that!! Long behold that's my story on how I ended up with silkies and sizzles!! Also how my 9 turned into 16!!!

Last edited:
Now that my Silkie is a little older I'd like to see what everyone thinks. help!
Hen or Roo?

I'd hazard a guess and say Roo. Looks like streamers coming from crest. Stance, tail/saddle and hackle feathers reminds me of my roo/s as they were growing up.

That tail/neck/hairdo doesn't look female to me

How old is he/she again?

Have had one that was very defined male at 3months old and a few that are like 6months old that are hard to sex

Will upload a few of my silkies asap.

Just a guess

Cheers,
Minny

4 of my silkie pullets in my avatar, I have a younger white pullet as well as white, splash, buff and partridge cockerels and your silkie reminds me of one of my partridges

Last edited:
I'd hazard a guess and say Roo. Looks like streamers coming from crest. Stance, tail/saddle and hackle feathers reminds me of my roo/s as they were growing up.

That tail/neck/hairdo doesn't look female to me

How old is he/she again? 

Have had one that was very defined male at 3months old and a few that are like 6months old that are hard to sex

Will upload a few of my silkies asap.

Just a guess

Cheers,
Minny

You mention the stance thing...here's two other pics that really throw me off. One looks like a Roo stance the other not as much.
Yet, I am still very new to having chickens. Nugget is around 5 months old.
Thanks for your response. I'd love to see pics of your silkies!

I have a cockerel who's comb is smaller than some of my females. Can take alot more than 5 months to develop the comb.

The stance, hackle feathers and saddle feathers are easier to "guess". My females are more defined (read bit easier to pick out) by 5 months age.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom