Silkie thread!

My silkie flock is complete now :) Well for the time being. I am planning to add a few more hens and possibly another rooster of a different color to my flock come late summer or early fall. Would add some sooner but I am moving across the country come May - April. Once I move I will be tenting it a bit with my hubby well we work on building our Straw bale/ Core Wood House. I am so excited for the move have been doing lots of re search about traveling with live birds. I have a flock of 6 birds. Two rooster and 4 hens. The move will be interesting

Hi
I'm new here and just wondering if it's a horrible idea to add a silkie, and a couple more bantams with my next batch of chicks this spring. I have 4 BO pullets, and a silkie cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet. All are about 5.5 months right now. I have coop and run space for about 12 standards I think (8x8 coop 8x12 run) and plan to free range in the spring. I don't want to build a bantam coop, but I really want a couple more bantams...maybe 2-3. I was planning on getting 3-4 standard size easter eggers, 1 white silkie, and 2 bantam cochins. That's what I've already ordered, but I can cancel or change it if needed. I planned to utilize a dog kennel in the coop to make a panic room for the new babies, but maybe this is all a horrible idea. I really wanted a couple bantams hens with my first round of chicks, but one died early on and the other turned out to be a boy.

my other thought is would it be better to add older silkies? I'm talking to a breeder who will have some available this spring. I still want some EEs though. I thought the silkies might do better if introduced as part of group with the bigger EEs, but I have no idea.

I think it would be better to introduce silkies along with others(breeds) about the same age. - so they can grow up with each other . The "but" is silkies are one of the most difficult to sex breeds there are. Generally you can't accurately sex them before 4-5 mos. of age. But some take until they crow or lay eggs. Buying young silkies, you may keep ending up with males.

Hi
I'm new here and just wondering if it's a horrible idea to add a silkie, and a couple more bantams with my next batch of chicks this spring. I have 4 BO pullets, and a silkie cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet. All are about 5.5 months right now. I have coop and run space for about 12 standards I think (8x8 coop 8x12 run) and plan to free range in the spring. I don't want to build a bantam coop, but I really want a couple more bantams...maybe 2-3. I was planning on getting 3-4 standard size easter eggers, 1 white silkie, and 2 bantam cochins. That's what I've already ordered, but I can cancel or change it if needed. I planned to utilize a dog kennel in the coop to make a panic room for the new babies, but maybe this is all a horrible idea. I really wanted a couple bantams hens with my first round of chicks, but one died early on and the other turned out to be a boy.
If you raise the chicks together, i don't see why it would be a problem.
I have bantam silkies/cochin mixed in with full sized turkeys... and my turkeys don't kill them... when I introduced my other chicks, to my adult flock, they lived in a juvie pen next to their area for a fewq weeks and once big enough we integrated them into their sleeping coop.

my EE's have their own coop.... because my alpha rooster kicked out my second rooster. So my second rooster currently lives with the turkeys and my red sexlinked. I'll be making my turkey's a pen of their own eventually, just due to their size. (and that i'm getting 15 more turkeys in the spring lol)

Mine free range, and don't attack each other, being stuck in a coop though, that changes the playing field altogether though. Birds in a cooped environment will fight. Free-range birds who are just put away for sleeping, don't really bother each other for the most part... however, roosters don't always get along with other roosters, so I wouldn't keep confined roosters in a space with a bunch of girls. You're asking for trouble.

The only thing I would suggest is get a live stock guardian dog if you are going to free range. I don't lose my birds to predators, but I did prior to getting my dog. I got her as a 12 week old puppy and raised her with the birds. she was never alone with the birds until she earned my trust, but once she understood they were "hers" to protect and not play with, she took her job very seriously.

The only thing I would suggest is get a live stock guardian dog if you are going to free range. I don't lose my birds to predators, but I did prior to getting my dog. I got her as a 12 week old puppy and raised her with the birds. she was never alone with the birds until she earned my trust, but once she understood they were "hers" to protect and not play with, she took her job very seriously.
what kind of dog do you have? I've been toying with the idea of a LSG, but don't know if I have it in me to keep a dog outside all the time. We've had no predator issues yet...not even any attempts, but I now we do have lots of predators in the area. I had originally gotten a BO cockerel as well...hoping he'd help keep the ladies safe, but he turned out to be too aggressive while mating and we had to eliminate him. The accidental silkie cockerel doesn't seem to be trying to mate yet. he just started crowing last week. I thought someone was dying, lol. he sounds horrible!

I think it would be better to introduce silkies along with others(breeds) about the same age. - so they can grow up with each other . The "but" is silkies are one of the most difficult to sex breeds there are. Generally you can't accurately sex them before 4-5 mos. of age. But some take until they crow or lay eggs. Buying young silkies, you may keep ending up with males.

yeah I realize the silkie sex may be an issue again. mypetchicken gives a 100% guarantee, but you only get your money back...you're still stuck with the mistaken cockerel. maybe i'll give it one more try! I really want a silkie hen or two. sounds like a bigger group of babies might be the way to go.

thanks for all the input!

Back
Top Bottom