Silkie thread!

See, that's been my experience with the ones I got before. And the aggressive nasty rooster.

Now I have a cockerel in the bachelor pen that just follows me around. He hasn't really been handled. If I reach down and pet him he kind of startles for a second because I'm not sure he even realizes he's doing it. He doesn't run off, though, and is never aggressive. Just hoping I have some treats. If anything the males seem more friendly than the females and tame down really quick with handling.
Our Silkie from the hatchery also is NOT pretty ^.^

She's about 4 1/2-5 months old and that's how big her fluff is.....

The little tiny orange one in front, is only about 7 weeks old, and this fluff is bigger than hers already.

From this at 5 weeks

to this at 10 weeks
love.gif
Look at that little face! She's adorable!

Hi all

Some really cute pictures of Silkies on here.

Can I ask two questions please as someone who adopted 3 a few months ago as they needed homes?

Do they molt the same as other chickens? One of my miniature's appears to have what looks like stubby quills on her head and a few feathers missing from her wings? The other miniature has a few wing feathers missing but is still farly fluffy on top. The standard silky seems fine. My silkies live with three ex batts and apart from the odd peck when food is around seem to get on well.

Secondly, do I need to do anything special in winter? It rarely dips below -5 at night and the coop has several inches of cardboard and bedding on the floor and in the boxes. All my hens tend to snuggle in the nest boxes although the silkies will roost from time to time. I ensure there's lots of insulation under the roosts. They happily run around in the garden all day even when it's raining.

Thanks for your help.

I seen somebody on BYCs Facebook using totes so I picked one at Wal Mart for $5 and my Silkie Hen loves it.....

That's a great idea, however I don't think that will work for me. I am moving to 160 acres farm come spring and have to build my house and all the out buildings so I am trying to build using as many materials from the land as possible so I plan to build my own nest boxes and to save space. So I am trying to find out how small the nest boxes for silkies need to be before I draw up the blue prints for my chicken coop

That's a great idea, however I don't think that will work for me. I am moving to 160 acres farm come spring and have to build my house and all the out buildings so I am trying to build using as many materials from the land as possible so I plan to build my own nest boxes and to save space. So I am trying to find out how small the nest boxes for silkies need to be before I draw up the blue prints for my chicken coop

Small lol.

Mine are 10 x 10 and ample. How fantastic to use materials from the land. As an English lady living in the suburbs am very jealous
lau.gif

Good luck sweetie

Ohhh wow Silkie broody time first time so hope I am doing this right she is now by herself in a area in garage ventilation chk food chk water chk away from her nest chk. Gave her some probiotic and electrolyte in her water is that ok?? she a bit stressed has been on amd off her nest since Dec 26 I had been getting her up several times a day hand feeding her she seems shakey
p.s is it normal for her friend to be picking on her being mean when they were out togeather is it going to change when she is not broody anymore

Back
Top Bottom