Silkie thread!

Hello I'm going to start breeding and selling silkiea. I have heard that you shouldn't mix silkie colors. Why not? The 2 silkie chicks I have right now are mixes.

When people breed and sell animals it is most often the goal to try and reach the standard of perfection of the animal, which leads to better lines and more people will buy from you, unless your goal is to do a designer breed or color.

FYI you can cancel up to a week before batch date I believe. I just canceled a couple and ordered a couple different breeds and they were really easy to work with. I know buying local from a breeder is best but sometimes that's just note feasible. I've been very happy with my pet chicken so far.

Yeah I remember reading that. So far from what I've heard most people have been very happy with their orders.

Love it!! They're so adorable!

This is my little one still young yet feathers aren't ask in but she is such a sweetie!

I only have two pairs that are the same color and same kind! So my chickens are diverse and get alone very well! I have had a few issues with my silver and gold wyadotte's picking on steve I think a crush!! I put them in time out and it worked its self out!! I have 10 silkies 3 are sizzles 1 frizzle smooth and the other are smooth. 2 isa brown, 2 australorps, 2 wyadottes 1 silver 1 gold, 1 blue easter egger, 1 barred rock, 1 light brama.

Looks like your diverse group worked out their pecking order. My younger Large Fowl breeds did ok with the Silkies but after the LFs matured at 2 and 3 yrs old they became too assertive for my littles. Zoning for only 5 hens/no roos really limits my options for breed varieties
sad.png

Okay thanks. Good to know, but I've already ordered so I guess it doesn't make much of a difference anymore.

MPC is as good as any hatchery. Some birds surprise you and really grow up great while others might disappoint -- but that happens in anyone's breeding of chickens. Even show quality parents don't always throw off perfect chicks! My local feed store orders from the same hatchery every year and it surprises me sometimes how nice some of the stock is -- and other times a particular run is disappointing and some of the juveniles will occasionally sport crooked tail feathers, etc. You never know what the chicks will look like until grown up. Show us your babies when they arrive!

Why is my brown chickens but purple???

Are up saying that this is her coloring ... not something she sat in? What? I wasn't sure..lol..she sure looks fine to me. Bet she thinks she looks fine too. Pretty girl!!

She's got a mixture of color. Someone else was asking about mixing colors. Do your own thing. If you just want pets, you can mix colors. If you want to show, or sell, then for show, color is important, for selling..the demand is usually a particular color that someone is looking for. Like I said, some don't mind, if for pets, they will just fall in love with the fluff and .. ahem, usually sweet demeanor.

Are up saying that this is her coloring ... not something she sat in? What? I wasn't sure..lol..she sure looks fine to me. Bet she thinks she looks fine too. Pretty girl!!

She's got a mixture of color. Someone else was asking about mixing colors. Do your own thing. If you just want pets, you can mix colors. If you want to show, or sell, then for show, color is important, for selling..the demand is usually a particular color that someone is looking for. Like I said, some don't mind, if for pets, they will just fall in love with the fluff and .. ahem, usually sweet demeanor.

Aaaww lovely. She looks like my Bridget.

MPC is as good as any hatchery.  Some birds surprise you and really grow up great while others might disappoint -- but that happens in anyone's breeding of chickens.  Even show quality parents don't always throw off perfect chicks!  My local feed store orders from the same hatchery every year and it surprises me sometimes how nice some of the stock is -- and other times a particular run is disappointing and some of the juveniles will occasionally sport crooked tail feathers, etc.  You never know what the chicks will look like until grown up.  Show us your babies when they arrive!

Alright, thanks! I'll be sure to show them off when they come! Now I have to wait three months!
1f62b.png

Back
Top Bottom