Silkie thread!

This is what I mean on getting them up off the ground if you can't get down to their level. She's eye level to me in this. Makes it easier to take a good picture and they will sit there and look for a way down since most of them know they can't fly.

Moved her over a tree, stepped back, and focused out to get some of the willow tree. She's 6 feet off the ground because that's where the good branch was.

Not nearly so high in this one. Probably about 4 feet. But then I wasn't standing in a foot of water to take this either

Ability and willingness to get down to their level when they are on the ground makes for much better angles.

And then I get photobombed by the chicken police

That's not a joke. The dog follows and if a chicken is on the ground, she's guarding it.

I come away from these with soaking wet knees and elbows a lot. I can't wait until it dries out so I can get some more with them on the ground.

Hi again! I went and got 6 more babies so I'm up to 11 little balls of fluff! I got them from Tractor Supply and I know that's not always the greatest thing to do. I'm having issues with pasty butt on almost all of them. Every chick out of the 25 I got from them had some amount of poo stuck to them but most were fine after it was cleaned off and settled in. I added some OACV to water and temps are right but I'm still having issues with my new Silkies. One is very tiny and wobbly. Do you guys use vasilen on them or trim feathers around the vent? Or some other way to keep them free? I hate getting them wet over and over.

Yoopergirl1211
I have had a few instances with pasty butt and use warm water to clean them up and put Vaseline once it's clean it seems to help but you might have to check daily to see how it's going. No need to clip the vent feathers

Hello
We are brand new to raising chickens but are very excited about the adventure. Our chicks arrive on April 5th. Included in the bunch are 5 Silkies as a birthday gift for my 16 year old granddaughter. Strange kid - wanted chickens for her birthday! Didn't even ask for clothes!!
We would be very happy for any and all tips and advice for success. Do the hens get broody? Would love to have some hatchlings some day.
Should the Silkies be housed separately from the others ?
We are new homesteaders totally organic.
Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be following.
Diane

I was the exact same at that age, nothing weird about it. It will make her a better person and she will never have money for drugs or beer if she is saving money to buy more birds or coops.
wink.png

Here's my mini silkie flock, Jareth and his two hens, Buckbeak and Fawkes. :) I have always called Jareth a splash, but it's come to my attention from other posts that he has a little of some other color in him as well. I think he's gorgeous!

I love looking at everyone else's fluffy chickens!

As the others have said, it is hard to tell because colors can change quite a bit as real feathers come in. I will tell you I have one that looked a lot like your as a baby. Not quite as light but very similar pattern. Not sure about my chick's parent's colors since I ordered those eggs but I had paints, blues and blacks hatch from same batch.She was born mostly black with a little lighter color on her underside and white wingtips and legs. She grew up to be an ordinary solid black. Who knows about your? It will be fun to see where she ends up.
I had a roo that started out one color and bythe time ha became an adult he was every color and type. Everyday he seemed different. A couple of times i didnt recognize him.

Hi again! I went and got 6 more babies so I'm up to 11 little balls of fluff! I got them from Tractor Supply and I know that's not always the greatest thing to do. I'm having issues with pasty butt on almost all of them. Every chick out of the 25 I got from them had some amount of poo stuck to them but most were fine after it was cleaned off and settled in. I added some OACV to water and temps are right but I'm still having issues with my new Silkies. One is very tiny and wobbly. Do you guys use vasilen on them or trim feathers around the vent? Or some other way to keep them free? I hate getting them wet over and over.

Pasty butt is usually due to dehydration, check that the brooder is big enough to give them the space to move away from the heat if they are overheating. You may need to physically drip water into the beak of the effected chick as some are a little slow to learn. Vaseline will help.

Researching for 6 years I haven't found convincing evidence for using ACV but there are chick probiotics to add to their water that owners say is helpful for pasty butt. My vet is always reminding me to use vitamins for my chickens. You might consider a vitamin supplement as the chicks mature.

Ya most feed store chick's are being housed to many in small space, not enough fresh water, and little ventilation , too warm just check to make sure you have lots of room fresh water ,ventilation ,good food and keep their bums clean they will probably be fine soon :)

Here's my mini silkie flock, Jareth and his two hens, Buckbeak and Fawkes. :) I have always called Jareth a splash, but it's come to my attention from other posts that he has a little of some other color in him as well. I think he's gorgeous!

I love looking at everyone else's fluffy chickens!

omg what a handsome little devil!!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom