Silkie thread!

If I remember right.

The smooth feathered ones are part of the frizzled breeding. You don't breed two frizzled together or you get feathers that break off if they have two copies. Smooth doesn't carry a copy.

Hopefully someone who breeds that type of silkie will pop in.

Silkied feathers are recessive so a smooth feathered bred to silkie feathered will only give smooth feathered offspring carrying one copy of silkied feathers.

Then you definitely don't want to breed him.  Gosh, he is a pretty bird though!  Contact Amber Waves Silkies in Norco, CA.  They also have more expensive DNA-sexed chicks available also.  They often have roos to good homes and all you pay is shipping.  Many of their Silkies have been show birds.  Tori Spelling and Jennifer Anniston got their Silkies from Amber Waves.  Amber Waves have all the standard approved colors of Silkies and you can check with them through their website about availability.  You know how it is to wait on the cooperation of chickens for availability!  Amber's is where I'll get my next Silkie.

Oh, I wasn't aware jenniferlamar70 was breeding for frizzle.  You're right, someone with frizzle knowledge should post in.

One more thing. Straight combs are recessive. If the other rooster is related to this one, there is a good chance this one carries one copy of the gene. All recessive genes are a pain to get rid of once you have them.

Thanks all, I spoke to the breeder and they explained he is a smooth frizzle. He should produce both silken and smooth frizzled chicks. They said he can be bred to the curly frizzles since he doesn't carry the f gene.. Something like that lol. I'm still learning so I'll probably sound like a nutcase for a bit lol. He is so sweet though. Hopefully no straight combs in his off spring. He has a very prominent walnut comb but I'm sure was related to the one with the straight comb. I'll do a test breeding to see what pops up lol. Mayne I'll get really lucky lol.

I got some chicks that were not related to my remaining flock and they are all pure silkies, some have the sizzle Gene they have light frizzle to them. I know about two of the chicks colors. The rest are history??? The oldest chick # 11 has some stripes on its wing like cuckoo idk if that's what it is???
If anyone could help me with there colors please thanks!!! I do own the father of the 11 chick as I bought him when I bought the chicks! He Is a porchlin I was told!!

Also there is one chick # 5 I breed and hatched. Parents are both dark blue father has some gold leakage around neck. I have hatched more chicks but they are the same color as parents he is the only roo in that pen and she is the only silkie hen in that pen so I know she payed the egg I don't know what color the chick is!!

SOP question: I'm currently choosing between two cockerels for breeding my Cuckoo line. I plan on keeping both to maturity to make an informed choice, but nonetheless would like to start determining their good/bad characteristics as soon as I can. Could anyone post pictures of a good quality cock's head? One of them so far seems to have a body I like better - he's nice and broad in shoulder and saddle, though perhaps a little too long in back. Very sturdy and well fleshed with a good frame. However his head appears (to me, anyhow) not that great. Wattles and earlobes are overlarge, beard is too small and flat, comb isn't awful but has an ugly depression running down one side of it. Overall it has a "coarse" look to it. Also, I think his saddle is not necessarily as full as it ought to be - forms a bit of a sharp angle with the tail, which I know it should not. The other male, however, has a significantly better head - very small, almost completely hidden wattles, a pretty good comb, better sized and much more turquoise earlobes. It just looks better, overall. However, he is a bit less broad in saddle. His tail is a little lower. His skin is darker, too, by a couple shades, which I know is more difficult to achieve with Cuckoos.

Also... I know the standard calls for "fully feathered outer and middle toes"... but what about the insides of the shank and the inner/back toes? I'm seeing lots of stubs and fluff on these parts of the feet, especially the back two toes. Is this a defect?

Could you post some pictures? I always have trouble choosing between the last two roos to use for my cuckoos.

@Sylvester017
go_quote.gif
How many colors are there of the cuckoo or what ever its called allot?? The feed store has a whole bunch of them and I was thinking about getting one or two!

The recognized APA standard colors for Silkies are White, Black, Blue, Partridge, Buff, Gray -- but there are Splash, Paint, Red, Calico, Cuckoo, etc, as project birds not yet admitted to the standard to my knowledge. Both bearded and non-bearded seem to be accepted. There are many different colors of Partridge like Silver Partridge, etc, but the standard Partridge so far as I know are the gold-hackled, darker-crested, darker-tailed variety. People love Silkies so much some start dabbling in creating new colors but they aren't the standard accepted colors yet. Does this help or have I confused you more --
lol.png
!

Back
Top Bottom