Silkie thread!

:welcome Post pictures. Depending on how old they are, should be getting feathers in not just chick fluff. Someone on here maybe able to give you some ideas. Besides we all love to see chick pictures.

First one is Silver Partridge? Edited to add another less blurry pic of silver Partridge.

Second is broody, so sorry for bad picture. She has frizzled Gene. See the upturned neck feathers? Thinking blue cream?

Attachments

• 20180504_112612.jpg
    20180504_112612.jpg
    533.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180504_112459.jpg
    20180504_112459.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20180504_112614.jpg
    20180504_112614.jpg
    546.3 KB · Views: 11
Me and my husband have finally come to an agreement on the coop expansion. We are going to add on 4 foot area to each end of my 8x16 ft coop (essentially making that the run. We will divide the current area into 3 sections, 2-6x8 and 1 3.5x8. I would like the 2 larger areas to be breeding flocks (each flock will have 10x8ft area and alternate free range time) and the small section in the middle to be a grow out area. Do any of you have any pictures of how you divide your areas for breeding? Not sure if I should make these a temporary divide for only breeding time so I can open it in the winter? He is only going to make these about 2 ft tall so I can step over. Any suggestions would be great and pictures helpful, I am a visual learner LOL. Picture is my is my current coop that will become the "run area".
0C2CB0D2-5532-41FF-9516-2C9DAF26D549.jpeg

Last edited:
First one is Silver Partridge? Edited to add another less blurry pic of silver Partridge.

Second is broody, so sorry for bad picture. She has frizzled Gene. See the upturned neck feathers? Thinking blue cream?
The first on looks to be a what ABA refers to as Grey (AKA silver partridge), The second picture I am not sure of as I am not familiar enough with blue cream to know, possible a blue cream or a wrong pattern grey (this is just a guess).

Just got 10 Silkies from an assorted bantam bin, and there are a few I'm not 100% sure of the color variety on. Anybody have an opinion? :)

#1. Front and back shot of this little munchkin:
View attachment 1373716 View attachment 1373715
#2. Blue with an orange-tinged face:View attachment 1373717 View attachment 1373718
#3. Partridge or Buff?
View attachment 1373719
~Alex
Are you sure they are all silkies? Silkies should have 5 toes & black skin. I am not positive, but some appear to have 4 toes.

I am no expert, but bottom is Partridge. The top two I am not sure of.

Are you sure they are all silkies? Silkies should have 5 toes & black skin. I am not positive, but some appear to have 4 toes.

I am no expert, but bottom is Partridge. The top two I am not sure of.
I believe so. :)
All have black skin and walnut combs; first chick only has 4 toes, second has 5 on each foot, and third has 5 on one foot. Keep in mind, they're hatchery quality. :D I'm aware they won't be perfect specimens of the breed.

Thank you! :)

~Alex

Last edited:
I believe so. :)
All have black skin and walnut combs; first chick only has 4 toes, second has 5 on each foot, and third has 5 on one foot. Keep in mind, they're hatchery-quality. :D I'm aware they won't be perfect specimens of the breed.

Thank you! :)

~Alex
Regardless they are adorable! Interesting colors too. I know red isn't a standard color but that top one sure looks deep red. Be interested to see it grow!

How does everyone keep there coops so clean? I clean mine but it only lasts a couple of days at most.

I use the deep litter method for the main part of the coop using pine shavings but I also have poop boards under my roosts so that when they poop all night, it's easily scraped off and doesn't get mixed in to the shavings. Mine free range all day so they only get in the coop at night or to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom