Quote:
Just for giggles I feel compelled to guess now
big_smile.png

Left to right:
Cockerel, Pullet, IDK (shot in the dark guess, Pullet) & Cockerel
wink.png

I couldn't help but guess too. I say boy, girl, boy, boy.​

Quote:
I wish I had. I took Fancy Pants and she got 4th place but the black pullet got 2nd. And because she weighed a little less than the one he gave 1st to. He actually went back and compared mine and the other one's weight. If my black pullet had out weighed the other she would have gotten 1st. But she's not full grown so she will get up there.

With Fancy pants it was her color he wasn't impressed with. He said she needed more red and I left that one at home. Fancy pants had lots of foot feathering and perfect toe separation, tight wings and nice fluff. I even got her all fluffy and shiny too. I asked what improvements I needed to do and he said get more red. Well I have that........at home.........but the daughter didn't have the heavy feathered feet and her crest went sstraught up over her eyes not over them like an Afro. Her face and comb was in clear view without needing to move the crest out of the way.

I'll work on it. I need a better partridge roo is what I need. I bet if I can get my hands on a roo like I have but with a nice crest and correct color comb I could get some champion birds out of them. Like I said, I'll work in it. Here's their pics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24309_jingles_9-2-2011.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24309_fancy_pants_9-3-2011.jpg

Oh and the Champion of the feather legged variety was so hamdsome. He was a spoiled rotten splash roo. Here he is
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/24309_peter-champion.jpg

Congratulations anyhow!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Over time being around/ seeing lots of pictures I think it's easier to guess the sex of a silkie before they crow and definitely before they lay an egg. How old are you silkie babies? Look for streamers also look at crest shape. In general I notice the swept back more triangular shape of a crest would indicate a cockerel. Also personality can be useful for making a guess. The more assertive/less timid ones tend to be cockerels in my experience. If you have the time and patience to get some good pictures and post them here I'm sure you'll be able to get some good guesses that will help you from that.

I picked up two silkies yesterday that are 4 months old.........the are hopefully roosters or atleast one....Last night one silkie just hid her head under her wing and didnt want to be moved so i moved her inside to isolate her. She wasnt opening her eyes but when i finally could make her I looked and they look clear with no crusting or anything. She ate yesterday morning but she isnt wanting to drink or eat this morning. Yesterday when we where bringing her home noticed that the poop was a little watery with normal color. Her balance is good and she flaps her wings,her body temp is good but her feet are ice cold have always had RIR and BR so i am completely lost. Someone please give me some advice:(

No luck getting any eggs in the incubator to hatch, but I did find some adorable paint silkies locally!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm finishing up the final touches on their coop/run to make sure it is secure, so they were out in my potbelly pig's pen yesterday. You will see some pigs and pig toys in the background of the pictures. I believe I have a young pullet and cockerel, and also a rooster and hen. It's cute how they appear to walk around in pairs. I'd like to get a couple of nice black silkie hens later maybe. There is one young black silkie that came with them, but it seems a little quiet and is in quarantine for now. Ok, I'll stop rambling and get to the pictures!
2011-09-05160847.jpg

2011-09-05160808.jpg

paints.jpg

paintpullet.jpg

painthen.jpg

henandrooster2.jpg

Lucyandchickens.jpg

cockerel.jpg

All of the pictures can be found here:
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/shaynablizard/Paint Silkies/

Last edited:
Colie <3 :

Quote:
Over time being around/ seeing lots of pictures I think it's easier to guess the sex of a silkie before they crow and definitely before they lay an egg. How old are you silkie babies? Look for streamers also look at crest shape. In general I notice the swept back more triangular shape of a crest would indicate a cockerel. Also personality can be useful for making a guess. The more assertive/less timid ones tend to be cockerels in my experience. If you have the time and patience to get some good pictures and post them here I'm sure you'll be able to get some good guesses that will help you from that.

Oh good thank you!! They're only about 5-6 weeks right now but I'll get some up here very soon
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom