Silkie thread!

Quote:
Im pretty sure thats a partridge

thanks
smile.png
I didn't hatch them out my friend sent them to me and they were already a week old.
smile.png
I'll keep posting pictures of it as it gets older
smile.png

No problem
wink.png
My little partridge had those colours on her body when she was a baby. She did have colour on her head too but she ended up having a dark black head too. Yours will probably have a light coloured head.

Heres mine so you see what I mean:

301434_10150267543436478_501426477_8279700_5960369_n.jpg

And her a few weeks ago:

304244_10150357719466478_501426477_8859153_1559376947_n.jpg

Cant wait to see your pictures
smile.png
So neat to see how they change

Okay, I need some help, and I'm not getting much response (elsewhere). Three of my silkies that were shipped to me last week have come down with a cold. It came on fast, so either they were shipped sick, or they were stressed with shipping. I started them on Doxycycline in their water (1 teaspoon per gallon). This is starting day 4 of the drug. Their symptoms were stretching out their necks and opening their beaks wide, shaking their heads and sneezing. Now that they've been on the drug 3 solid days, I haven't seen them stretch out their necks. I do keep watching, and either I'm missing it, or they have stopped. They were doing it a LOT-- so, even if they are still doing it (and I'm missing it), it has greatly decreased. However, shaking their heads and a sneeze now and then is still persisting. Some one suggested mites- so I'm going to run to the store today this afternoon to get the Adams spray and shampoo. I looked, and could not find any bugs on them at all. Nothing. However.. after I held one of them for about 15 mintues, (I was listening to him breathe, so I had my ear down to him) I did feel a bit itchy afterwards.

Here is where my question comes in... One of them has started in with a horrible poopy butt. I checked his vent and it's not caked and covering it. But it is running all down his rear feathers. I know he needs a bath now. I'm thinking yogurt might help settle his tummy? So I put out yogurt for them all to eat in a bowl. At first they looked at it like I was poisoning them and stayed clear away from it. Then after about 30 mintues, they have gotten over it, but now they are just walking thru it! They are not attempting to eat it. How in the world do you get them to eat it? I put several scoops in the bowl and then sprinkled it with their crumbles. I can't think of anything else to do.

Quote:

I agree... My oldest is about 4 months and though I was sure it was a boy because he had a large comb and wattles but it wasnt until two days ago I heard a crow that didnt belong to my other two and he was the only "suspect" that it could have belonged to.
smile.png
He also doesnt seem to want to do it as often as the other two because I havent heard it since and he only did it 3 times that morning. Guess he doesnt feel like overexcerting his "masculinity" like the other two bantams LOL

Quote:
I would not give them a bath. If you suspect bugs, use the spray. It might take a few more days for their symptoms to go away. the Yawning they did was trying to get air in better.
Obviously a respiratory problem.

Quote:
The diarrhea is probably from the antibiotics. The doxycycline is a good drug to use for MG which is probably what they have. Use it for a full 10 days. If they are not improving noticeably within the next couple of days, you can add Tylan or Spectinomycin to the doxycycline. I would add probiotics to their feed to give their gut back some good bacteria and give them yogurt a couple of times per day. As long as they are eating and drinking well, you may have to live with some amount of diarrhea. Be sure your dose of doxycycline is correct. I've never used it so I don't know the correct dose.

I would probably not bathe them, but a little warm water on their butt/legs, dried well shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
The diarrhea is probably from the antibiotics. The doxycycline is a good drug to use for MG which is probably what they have. Use it for a full 10 days. If they are not improving noticeably within the next couple of days, you can add Tylan or Spectinomycin to the doxycycline. I would add probiotics to their feed to give their gut back some good bacteria and give them yogurt a couple of times per day. As long as they are eating and drinking well, you may have to live with some amount of diarrhea. Be sure your dose of doxycycline is correct. I've never used it so I don't know the correct dose.

I would probably not bathe them, but a little warm water on their butt/legs, dried well shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you Three Cedars and Marquisella! Seriously, this is exactly what I need to know! Whew. I was so worried that after 3 days, they are not showing more improvement, but it sounds like they just need more time. They are very active, alert and eating/drinking. (just not the yogurt!) I was very worried about the poopy butt, but if it is from the antibiotics, then I'll deal with it. It did start in after they started the drug. The Doxycycline says 1 teaspoon per every gallon. So, I do believe I'm dosing them correctly. Okay- tell me where to get these probiotics to add to their feed? They are just walking thru the yogurt and now have it all over themselves, so I don't think I can rely on the yogurt. I JUST cleaned out their pen this morning again, and now it's a mess from the yogurt bath.
tongue.png
Is there a powder or something to put in their crumbles? Something I can pick up at Walmart or my farm store? I wanted to get good advice before I ran out and bought a bunch of stuff I may not need. I will not bathe them- thanks for telling me that. It is so yucky, I was just thinking it was going to be necessary. What about the flea and tick spray? Should I go ahead and spray them with that? Or wait on that one?

Oh- and what is MG? I've never dealt with illness before. Everyone has always been healthy! The only thing I've ever had happen is a turkey get heat stroke this summer. (she's fine now) Thank you so much! If they aren't better in a couple more days, I'll be asking about the Tylan! I don't have it on hand, but it is at my farm store. I'm assuming I need the powder? They have both injection and powder. Thanks!

Quote:
bunny doesn't look like a mix, she looks buff and just happens to have a single comb. it happens. I love that you can see your silkies eyes, they have such big pretty eyes.

They sure do have the prettiest eyes, don't they? The boys look very sweet!

I never really noticed that until I bought a new pair at the last Stockton show from a Bay Area breeder & I noticed ow pretty their eyes were. Now I can always tell by looking which chicks are out of that pair.

Quote:
I wish I could help, but don't know what to tell you. I have some new little Sizzles that have pasty butt that I have cleaned & offered yogurt & sand like I usually do & they will not eat it so back to the sink for more baths.

Back
Top Bottom