Silkie thread!

It's hard to post photos of your precious "kids" on here for critique but I really need an honest evaluation of my "Princess Di" also featured in my avatar when she was 4 mths. She is now almost 7 months. Please ignore the pitiful beak trim I did a few days ago! She would not hold still. Anyway, this girl definitely has a wing issue. It is not split wing. I tried to get a photo of an open wing but I didn't have a helper and it was a joke! Just trust me that there isn't a split. Also her wings fold right not like "angel wings". She doesn't have barring on her wings like I think partridge are supposed to. Her toe spacing is great on one side and the double toe on the other is too wide open. So, is she PQ, BQ or SQ? All imput is appreciated!

I wanted to include this photo that I took a week ago because she was not confident outside. This is how she normally stands.

It's hard to post photos of your precious "kids" on here for critique but I really need an honest evaluation of my "Princess Di" also featured in my avatar when she was 4 mths. She is now almost 7 months. Please ignore the pitiful beak trim I did a few days ago! She would not hold still. Anyway, this girl definitely has a wing issue. It is not split wing. I tried to get a photo of an open wing but I didn't have a helper and it was a joke! Just trust me that there isn't a split. Also her wings fold right not like "angel wings". She doesn't have barring on her wings like I think partridge are supposed to. Her toe spacing is great on one side and the double toe on the other is too wide open. So, is she PQ, BQ or SQ? All imput is appreciated!

I wanted to include this photo that I took a week ago because she was not confident outside. This is how she normally stands.

WOW! This is not a color I am familiar with (I mean, I don't know what should be there and what shouldn't-- I'm much better at the BBS colors!) But she is amazing! Her crest is to die for! As well as her cushion. I can't wait to see what one of our experts say about her!

WOW! This is not a color I am familiar with (I mean, I don't know what should be there and what shouldn't-- I'm much better at the BBS colors!) But she is amazing! Her crest is to die for! As well as her cushion. I can't wait to see what one of our experts say about her!

Gosh, thanks, Hawkeye. Your comments mean a lot! I'm just hoping her defects won't disqualifiy her for breeding.
fl.gif

Yeah you need to just do it
wink.png

IMO, If you do A.I. you need to actually work with the boy everyday to get him used to you handling him. You also need to get him so when you pick him up he is not all tense. Once you get past the hurtle of that hen you just work with him and you can do this daily at first and then the sperm can live up to two weeks in the females cloaca. But remember you are doing this for a reason which is to have a very fertile hen/egg so the more the better until you achieve your goal. I know it kills folks to do this but, to make sure your boy is not infertile even with the A.I. I would do a crack test with the egg to see if it has the bulleyes instead of waiting to see in a bator or under a broody.

Yeah Hawks are very smart and will check everyday till one day they get lucky :(

Yeah, I check his fluff nearly every day and pull out yuckies. I keep talking myself into doing the AI and then I always find some reason not to do it that day. HA! I need to just DO it that way I'll know I'll have babies soon! Thanks for the tips, I'm taking note, for sure. :) How often do you have to do that? Every 3 or 4 days?? Or can you go longer? You're so lucky you have a LGD that will protect your silkies. I'm literally out in the open plains-- hardly a tree in sight and no place to hide. Mine would be hawk bait in 5 minutes flat. As it is-- we have two hawks that are constantly diving near the coop checking things out. My birds just go under the coop and wait it out. They are penned in with a dog run and I just took the tarp off a bit ago. I'm wanting to build a more permanent pen with a roof on it. My turkey was just attacked by the hawks last week and they tore a hunk out of her. She was lucky that she got away, plus she's a big girl. They might not have realized when they went in for the dive that she was that big. She's fine. But her back is still healing.

Peep, She is very nice! I'm not sure what you mean by a wing thing so without seeing it, it's hard. I like her stance in the last photo of the S shape you want. From what I see the only thing that she does lack is alittle bit more chestnut in the crest. But, with Partridge you never really get a true even perfect Partridge everytime so really I feel like you want to get as close the APA standard as possible with color but, definitely have the type 100% As for the feet again without pics it's hard to say.

I would say put her in the show and see how she does. Remember the best way to learn is to enter, watch, and see how they do
wink.png
I say its all about learning not winning.

Here is my gold hen "Honey" and her mate "Buff". The dark re dish cockerel was honeys brother and was sold a little while ago.

These are my favorite pics of them both, taken last August under the pear tree.
Honey is now broody and caring for 5 chicks, 1 gold Arlington, 2 WC black polish, 1 muffler Peking and her own daughter from this pair who I'm looking forward to see what will look like. I also have 2 black, 2 gold and 2 white silkie eggs in my incubator, they will be hatching on about the 26th March 2012 so I might be able to send in some pics of the cute little fluffs,
love.gif
I love silkie chicks when they first hatch, they're just look so cute, there's no beating them!!!

Peep, She is very nice! I'm not sure what you mean by a wing thing so without seeing it, it's hard. I like her stance in the last photo of the S shape you want. From what I see the only thing that she does lack is alittle bit more chestnut in the crest. But, with Partridge you never really get a true even perfect Partridge everytime so really I feel like you want to get as close the APA standard as possible with color but, definitely have the type 100% As for the feet again without pics it's hard to say.

I would say put her in the show and see how she does. Remember the best way to learn is to enter, watch, and see how they do
wink.png
I say its all about learning not winning.

Oh Wow! You think I could show her? Yay! On the wings, everyone says it should look like a smile and her's doesn't look like a smile to me. So the lack of barring isn't a big deal?

Oh Wow! You think I could show her? Yay! On the wings, everyone says it should look like a smile and her's doesn't look like a smile to me. So the lack of barring isn't a big deal?

I dont do partridges, but this girl is so cute, I could imagine it! If it were my bird, I would show her. The other poster who said showing is about learning is right on. No better way IMO than to look at your bird next to a lot of others and talk to breeders about your bird. Also Ive asked judges (AFTER judging is over and if they are free) to pick apart my birds and they were happy to do so. Ive also watched friends do this and learned a lot that way too! Good luck and enjoy your pretty little miss.
clap.gif

She's gorgeous - that's all I know!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom