Silkie thread!

Is there a thread that gives some hints or particulars for incubating and hatching Silkies? I have had success with my mixed banties, but would love to know how others do the process specifically for Silkies. And, where better to ask than here?
I have a hovabator that I use for incubating, and a little giant for lock down-both are forced air and keep very steady temps. My humidity for lock down won't seen to get higher than 68%, that's with covering most of the free space with bowls of water, sponges and wet cloths.
My questions are:
Humidity and temp during incubation (my temp has been 99.5, only fluctuating by about .5 degree)?
How often do you candle? And, do these chicks look different than other breeds when you do candle?
Is my lock down humidity going to work?
Do you go into lock down on day 18 no matter what?
Is there a difference in hatch rate when using cartons?

If you'd like to pm me that fine, as I know this has probably been discussed before, I just have trouble finding specific info on here.
I'm getting two dozen eggs tomorrow, so any and all info/advice is appreciated.
Blessings,T
Tina

Thank you! I keep hand feeding them but I don't like picking them up and taking them from the others because they sound so devastated when they peep. I just hate to stress them out that much. I have to pick them up twice a day and move them from the coop to the run in the morning and back in the evening and they hate it :\

I would put all my babies in a clear, big plastic tote and bring them in the house so they could become accustom to peoplenoises. The more you handle them the easier it gets.

Sounds like a cat! Any hanging around watching your peeps? I am so sorry for your loss. It is heartbreaking to lose any of them!
Thanks but no cats have been hanging around, just the barn cat.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure its not a cat. The only cat around here is our barn cat that is scared of the chickens. Its head was chewed up and I'm glad we got there when we did because I'm sure it would have done more damage if we arrived later. We've had problems with coons before eating the cat's food in the horse barn.

Last edited:
Is there a thread that gives some hints or particulars for incubating and hatching Silkies? I have had success with my mixed banties, but would love to know how others do the process specifically for Silkies. And, where better to ask than here?
I have a hovabator that I use for incubating, and a little giant for lock down-both are forced air and keep very steady temps. My humidity for lock down won't seen to get higher than 68%, that's with covering most of the free space with bowls of water, sponges and wet cloths.
My questions are:
Humidity and temp during incubation (my temp has been 99.5, only fluctuating by about .5 degree)?
How often do you candle? And, do these chicks look different than other breeds when you do candle?
Is my lock down humidity going to work?
Do you go into lock down on day 18 no matter what?
Is there a difference in hatch rate when using cartons?

If you'd like to pm me that fine, as I know this has probably been discussed before, I just have trouble finding specific info on here.
I'm getting two dozen eggs tomorrow, so any and all info/advice is appreciated.
Blessings,T
Tina
From all that you've said I think you have done a great job incubating. I do not do anything different with silkies than other breeds and I don't know anyone who does except maybe focus on getting the lockdown humidity up really well. I always have trouble getting mine above 70 also. I use cartons sometimes and sometimes not. No difference in hatch rate but I understand they don't drowned after pipping as much in the carton. I delay lockdown a day if the airspace seems too small.

She's really beautiful!!!
Thanks! These are my first silkies and I just love them! I like the funny noises they make, how laid back they are, and of course, all that fluff!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom