Silkie thread!

Pullorum
and yeah mine werent my friends after NPIP testing for a day or two. TREATS will make them your friends again real quick. LOL
They seem to be coming around pretty quickly. lol
One of our white hens was quite a bleeder. The tiny little cut on her wing was still bleeding two hours later.
ep.gif
Of course being a white bird, looked like someone had stabbed her because the blood was all over her wing and body. lol I washed her off and put some biozide on the area. That stopped the bleeding. Of course, this hen is still running away from me. lol

I have a question for silkie breeders

I hatched a chick from my silkie rooster and my silkie hen.. I think its a male. Its got better feathering on the feet then my rooster and maybe tighter wing carriage. As I am new to raising chickens I am still learning.

My question is if it is a roo should I slell my current rooster and use him even though he will be the son of one of the hens. I only live on a third of an acre so I don't have a whole lot of room.

My 4 year old helped me with the photos.
How old is this boy? Doesn't look very old?

Can anyone tell me if my partridge would be good for show? Or has any good traits?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Picture time! The chicks just keep getting cuter. lol

I sense lots of attitude here.
lau.gif

"I believe I can fly! I believe I can touch the sky!"

My buff. They're about a month old now. Does this look like a normal month old buff? The pink feet turned black. Yay!
wee.gif

"Wait moms, wait!!"

Ok, this white chick reminds me of Bart Simpson with that hairdo.
lol.png

This darn splash has pink toes, the tips of the toes.
sad.png
There's no chance of them turning black at a month old, is there?

I love the face on this partridge.

The good splash out of the 3 I have. The third one has bad feet.
sad.png

Aaaand...this is what the rest of the flock did when I was taking baby pictures. One of them must have pushed the pen door open because I know I closed it behind me. I didn't latch it, so someone got smart and figured out how to open the door.
lau.gif

Hey there.... my question is does anyone have problems with Silkies and their abilities using Nipple Waterers??? I'm getting closer to finishing my winter coop and wanted some input. I've only got 3 Silkies so far and this is my first mini flock of chooks, so I don't want to neglect any one breeds needs planning a waterer for the rest of the flock. Any feedback would be Greatly Appreciated!! Thank You BYC'ers~
I use them for my silkies and they work great! :)

Picture time! The chicks just keep getting cuter. lol

I sense lots of attitude here. :lau

"I believe I can fly! I believe I can touch the sky!" 

My buff. They're about a month old now. Does this look like a normal month old buff? The pink feet turned black. Yay! :weee

"Wait moms, wait!!"

Ok, this white chick reminds me of Bart Simpson with that hairdo. :lol:

This darn splash has pink toes, the tips of the toes. :(  There's no chance of them turning black at a month old, is there?

I love the face on this partridge.  

The good splash out of the 3 I have. The third one has bad feet. :(

Aaaand...this is what the rest of the flock did when I was taking baby pictures. One of them must have pushed the pen door open because I know I closed it behind me. I didn't latch it, so someone got smart and figured out how to open the door. :lau

omg I just love your little partridge!!! It really looks like a model and posing with a sexy cute face! This chicks are crazyyyy!

Question for those with lots of broody Silkies...
I have a 5 month old pullet, 10 month old pullet and a 2 year old hen, all laying. They have a dog house that they are SUPPOSED to lay in but of course they choose to lay their egg in the middle of their run, in their food dish, basically everywhere but the dog house.... They do go in the dog house throughout the day and some sleep there at night til I put them to bed in the big coop. My question is: If I start leaving eggs in the dog house, is there a chance one of my girls will go broody?

Also, none of my Silkie eggs are fertile, even though my roo does his job with all the girls... If I trim the fluff around his rear and on the girls too, will that help?

Question for those with lots of broody Silkies...
I have a 5 month old pullet, 10 month old pullet and a 2 year old hen, all laying. They have a dog house that they are SUPPOSED to lay in but of course they choose to lay their egg in the middle of their run, in their food dish, basically everywhere but the dog house.... They do go in the dog house throughout the day and some sleep there at night til I put them to bed in the big coop. My question is: If I start leaving eggs in the dog house, is there a chance one of my girls will go broody?

Also, none of my Silkie eggs are fertile, even though my roo does his job with all the girls... If I trim the fluff around his rear and on the girls too, will that help?

Leave an egg (mark it), or get a fake egg, golf ball or something, and put it in the dog house where you want them to lay. Of course, they need wood shavings, or something comfy to lay in. Then, you could try leaving eggs in there. Let them make a little pile, or just add a couple here and there, and there's a good chance one will go broody. My broody girls free range a lot, and they'll make a nest somewhere, and sit once it's full. If I try to start a nest for them, most of the time, they'll add to it, till they're ready to go broody.

How old is your boy? He and/or the girls may need a trim.

Leave an egg (mark it), or get a fake egg, golf ball or something, and put it in the dog house where you want them to lay. Of course, they need wood shavings, or something comfy to lay in. Then, you could try leaving eggs in there. Let them make a little pile, or just add a couple here and there, and there's a good chance one will go broody. My broody girls free range a lot, and they'll make a nest somewhere, and sit once it's full. If I try to start a nest for them, most of the time, they'll add to it, till they're ready to go broody.

How old is your boy? He and/or the girls may need a trim.
Where can I find fake eggs? I've looked everywhere and can't find any that look realistic enough to fool my birds. I tried a golf ball but they freaked out and all hid in a corner like it was going to eat them
hmm.png

They have shavings in the dog house and my one girl even starts singing her "I'm laying an egg now!!!" song in there but always moves outside for some unfathomable reason... I'll try putting an egg from my reds in there tomorrow and see what they do.
My boy is 10 months (approximately)

Back
Top Bottom