Silkie very sick, help please

Emily26

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
I've got a 4 week old silkie that has always had a bit of a tilt neck and been slower, initially gave her vit E which seemed to help along with not stressing her out. She could eat and drink fine so moved to just giving all of them a multi vit in their water. She's been slowly declineing again and started giving Vit E again last night, it hasn't seemed to help and today she's much worse. Barely opens her eyes, can't keep head up, lying on her back etc... Wry neck has gotten worse. I've removed her from the main coop to her own box inside.

My question is how do I hand feed and water her? And how often should I be doing this?

There may be something more serious going on than wry neck, although it may be producing similar symptoms. Without more information, it is just a guess, though. It may be genetic flaws have become more problematic as time passes. Or there's an underlying disease that may be taking a toll.

Is she willing to eat and drink if you prop her up? Try forming a "horse-shoe" with a rolled up towel, and put her on it so she's lying against it with her breast supported. and the sides of the rolled towel are supporting her on each side so she doesn't roll over. Place her food and water elevated so she can easily reach it. If this works, and she eagerly eats, then you could make her a chicken chair to support her so she can eat. https://chickentherapychairs.weebly.com/

If she's simply too weak to eat or has no appetite, then try giving her straight sugar water to drink. This will give her strength and feed her brain, also, perhaps also easing the wry neck symptoms.

If that fails, you will need to tube feed her. That requires the equipment - feeding syringe and plastic tubing - which can be bought from most vets or you can get the tubing where they sell aquarium supplies. The syringe needs to have a large enough orifice so liquid food paste can be pushed through it.

Feed into the esophagus as pictured here. With a baby chick, raw egg administered by syringe may be the best way to go for now, though.
2E58EFC7-81BD-4ADE-88BC-5E00F907A388_1_105_c.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom