Silkie with a very swollen leg!

rh101

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Yesterdua i went to check on the coop and do chores. My silkie who is always very happy, talkative, and loves attention and super friendly.He always runs up to me and loves to be held. He's such a cuddle bug. True to his breed. However yesterday he was just laying there. I picked him up to hold him and he awkwardly quiet. When I set him down he struggled alittle. when he stood up he was favoring his leg a little bit. Decided to put him in a seperate cage an bring him in the warm and so the other chickens would not pick on him if they sensed he may be weak When I examined his leg more I noticed what looked like really big blisters. I wash off his feet and legs. He really seemed to enjoy the warm water. After his bath yesterday he was putting alittle more weight on his leg. Still swollen though. Today It is still swollen. i soaked the foot again. I examined it again and noticed today what appears to be bruising on his hock that I did not see yesterday. And it is swollen more and has what still look like blisters. There is fluid that is coming out of tem. He will not put weight on it except to turn to get food and water. He is still drinking and eating though. Any ideas of what this may be and anything that might help? I'm a getting a little worried.

Sorry to hear about your silkie. I haven't seen anything about blisters in leg diseases, but found several diseases that cause swelling of the hock and leg. Viral arthritis or tenosynovitis, mycoplasma synoviae, along with E.Coli or staphloccocal infections can cause leg swelling. Here are 2 links to read: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/viral_arthritis/overview_of_viral_arthritis_in_poultry.html
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/99/mycoplasma-synoviae-infection-ms-infectious-synovitis

Thank you for the links! The blisters have me lost as well. They are between his toes and like right under where the feather shaft goes in. I'm not sure what's causing the blisters. My only thought is possibly the swelling being so much. He does seem in some pain. I read that giving a 1/4 piece of children's Motrin can help with pain. is it safe? Should I give him that to help ease the pain? Or anything else that can help with pain? I don't want to give him something Im not sure about.

I would be very cautious using anything but baby aspirin for pain. I don't think ibuprofen or tylenol is ever used on poultry, but I could be wrong. Could there be anything in the litter such as moisture or droppings causing the foot problem or blisters?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom