Silkie with crop issue

Day 3 on baytril. Was fine this morning. Poop is normal. She took a turn for the worse. Bright blood. Some liquid most more gelatinous. I believe coming from her vent. I bathed her and checked below her vent for injuries. Sprayed with vetrycin. She still acting normal and fiesty when I’m trying to hold her. Anyone dealt with this? If she wasn’t doing so well I believe culling her would be appropriate
Figuring out where the blood is coming from is important. Is it from the vent or from below the vent where that lesion/wound - maybe that area came open?

1587262345323.png

1587262435577.png

Figuring out where the blood is coming from is important. Is it from the vent or from below the vent where that lesion/wound - maybe that area came open?

View attachment 2096680

View attachment 2096684
The blood doesn’t seem to be coming from that spot. I gave her a bath and got a little clot that came from her vent. I think it’s just falling out and covering that area with blood. She’s acting the same luckily. I’m leaning towards a kidney problem? Any information on that? She drinks a lot! I’m just looking at tons of articles. I did post in a new post to get more input. I was actually thinking if I gave her 7 days of baytril and she wasn’t doing well I would take her to a vet to euthanize. The $$ is the struggle. I’m already out the money I spent on her, meds and then a vet bill. I don’t see her having a great quality of life at this point. I as always appreciate the feedback and help!

How is she doing today?

I'm so sorry that your dealing with this. If the blood is coming from the vent, that is not good.
I understand it's always a hard decision to make, but you may want to consider letting her go.

Have you ever put a chicken down yourself? I understand the thought of doing it yourself may be distressing but learning how is always a good idea that way you are not dependent on a vet. With the country pretty much shut down like it is, money is tight and vet care is often difficult to find for a chicken to begin with. There's a good video I think @aart knows how to find it, if not I'll search for it. That is the method I use. My birds really are pets, they have names and yes, I get attached. I do have someone that would probably take care of them for me, but they are mine, I care for them very much and I take it all personally. Some I have stood at the incubator and watched hatch, taking their first steps and mine is the first human face they see when they open their eyes, my hands and arms are what they know throughout their life - so my loving arms, gentle voice and face is the last thing they feel/see when I put them down too. Yes, I cry.

There's a good video I think @aart knows how to find it
Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
*Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

**Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

***Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

How is she doing today?

I'm so sorry that your dealing with this. If the blood is coming from the vent, that is not good.
I understand it's always a hard decision to make, but you may want to consider letting her go.

Have you ever put a chicken down yourself? I understand the thought of doing it yourself may be distressing but learning how is always a good idea that way you are not dependent on a vet. With the country pretty much shut down like it is, money is tight and vet care is often difficult to find for a chicken to begin with. There's a good video I think @aart knows how to find it, if not I'll search for it. That is the method I use. My birds really are pets, they have names and yes, I get attached. I do have someone that would probably take care of them for me, but they are mine, I care for them very much and I take it all personally. Some I have stood at the incubator and watched hatch, taking their first steps and mine is the first human face they see when they open their eyes, my hands and arms are what they know throughout their life - so my loving arms, gentle voice and face is the last thing they feel/see when I put them down too. Yes, I cry.
🙁 such a sweet response thank you. I worked 6-6 at the hospital today so I haven’t seen her today. I’m nervous to find her dead when I come home. It’s hard I’m not even attached this chicken. But I don’t want to see her struggle in death. Like if I had to cull her. But I also don’t want her to suffer! She was acting normal yesterday. Hopefully it was just breaking some scar tissue loose or something. Ugh just makes me sad to think. I’d be interested in a video if you had it. Is it cervical dislocation?

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
*Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'
it's the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

**Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

***Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.
Thanks for the video! I got home and no blood! Just bring her normal self. She’s just pooping like crazy. She’s actually getting done feathers at her vent. I’m holding out hope! I’ll update. I’m still unsure what I want to do with her.

So she’s still with us. I have her in a prefab coop outside. Away from the others. She’s acting normal but her poop is horrendous! She’s been getting probios probiotics in her water for over a week. I’ll attach a picture 😁
65E4FE40-FEFB-4AF5-9D62-3230C44B84E1.jpeg

Looks like undigested crumble?
Yes and I have the poop chart and nothing compares. That’s how my “sick” chickens in the past poop has looked. Wondering if she’s still getting back to normal after baytril. I just don’t want her around my flock until she’s normal. And I feel like she’s getting depressed. I’ve had her close to a month and she’s been alone

I’ve diagnosed her with cloacitis. I read an article and the person took the bird to the vet and they lavaged and cleaned out the build up of nitrates? She has white chunks in her vent. But aside from her poop she’s acting normal. I have a friend who will take her even with her problems. But will this eventually get her so weak and malnutritioned? Anyone have any information on this? Thanks I didn’t want to start a new thread. I just wanted for people who read the story more information

Back
Top Bottom