English Orpington huge crop

Jun 2, 2023
I have a silver laced English Orpington that has an absolutely ginormous crop. It’s empty every morning but she just refills it by the evening with an astronomical amount of food. It’s roughly the size of a softball. My question is, is it unhealthy for her to do this? Is this breed more prone to over eating?
She’s free range on a few acres and only receives 2-3 cups roughly of layer feed daily to share alongside 6 other hens. None of my other hens have crops like this.
First picture is the best I could get in the evening of her crop. Second picture is her crop in the late morning.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    805.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4071.jpeg
    IMG_4071.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Some large breeds are big eaters. As long as her crop is emptying by the next morning, there is no problem. But do not give her extras other than the balanced chicken feed. Many people overfeed their birds with cracked corn, scratch grains, sunflower seeds, table scraps, or other treats, and they can get fat, have crop issues, and fatty liver disease. Make sure that she has access to poultry granite grit to help her gizzard grind up foods and grasses.

Some large breeds are big eaters. As long as her crop is emptying by the next morning, there is no problem. But do not give her extras other than the balanced chicken feed. Many people overfeed their birds with cracked corn, scratch grains, sunflower seeds, table scraps, or other treats, and they can get fat, have crop issues, and fatty liver disease. Make sure that she has access to poultry granite grit to help her gizzard grind up foods and grasses.
I usually scatter a single handful of scratch grains through the thicker grass in our yard once a day maybe every other day. It’s such a small amount I don’t imagine it would have an impact. It’s just something I do when they look bored.
We have a large gravel driveway I do catch them all scratching thro a lot. Is that not an appropriate substitute for actual grit? I do provide oyster shell.

Back
Top Bottom