1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie with possible neck injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamielee123081, Nov 16, 2015.

1. jamielee123081

jamielee123081 New Egg

Nov 16, 2015
    My Silkie was beat up pretty bad my one of my buffs. We think it may be a rooster because it is the only one out of 4 she picks on. The silkie is now unable to face forward. His head keeps drifting to one side constantly. Any ideas???

2. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Hi jamielee, is your buff a large fowl breed or is she a Silkie as well? If the buff is a LF I would recommend that the Silkie's have their own space. Larger fowl birds sometimes pick on the smaller breeds, they can injure or kill them by pecking a Silkies head. Its possible the neck was injured & now has wry neck started. Do you have a picture of the Silkie with the neck injury?

3. jamielee123081

jamielee123081 New Egg

Nov 16, 2015
    Hi! We have 4 buff orpingtons, a black sex link and 4 silkies. Cash, the injured one, started crowing this morning. So I am thinking they are picking on him because he is a rooster. They leave the other 3 alone. [​IMG]

4. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    He's a beautiful boy, hope his neck gets to feeling better. I would still recommend a separate coop area for Silkies. Mine interact with the LF birds, but its at my disgretion & they have the safety of their own run & coop when safety becomes an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by