Silkie with possible neck injury

jamielee123081

Hatching
Nov 16, 2015
My Silkie was beat up pretty bad my one of my buffs. We think it may be a rooster because it is the only one out of 4 she picks on. The silkie is now unable to face forward. His head keeps drifting to one side constantly. Any ideas???

Hi jamielee, is your buff a large fowl breed or is she a Silkie as well? If the buff is a LF I would recommend that the Silkie's have their own space. Larger fowl birds sometimes pick on the smaller breeds, they can injure or kill them by pecking a Silkies head. Its possible the neck was injured & now has wry neck started. Do you have a picture of the Silkie with the neck injury?

Hi! We have 4 buff orpingtons, a black sex link and 4 silkies. Cash, the injured one, started crowing this morning. So I am thinking they are picking on him because he is a rooster. They leave the other 3 alone.

He's a beautiful boy, hope his neck gets to feeling better. I would still recommend a separate coop area for Silkies. Mine interact with the LF birds, but its at my disgretion & they have the safety of their own run & coop when safety becomes an issue.

Back
Top Bottom