Silkie losing weight

rooney85

Songster
9 Years
Mar 10, 2015
Washington County MD
Hi all! We have a silkie that has been losing weight over the last few weeks that just has me stumped.
Shes bearded and has a pretty epic poof, and is probably about 6 months old at this point. I trimmed her feathers back from her face and she mostly lives inside as the winter has been tough and her and my other silkie were not being allowed in the coop. We let them out a few hours a day.
So our grey silkie poult, Kiwi, and her buddie- a silkie hen a couple of months older than her, were purchased in November at a poultry swap. We had them with two 8 week old chickens who I moved out with the rest of the flock about a week before Kiwi started acting ill. She had been playing and acting like a chick with these other two babies
Kiwi started losing weight and acting a little lethargic, but I watched her and she was eating. Shes getting Kalmbach’s flock raiser. She’ll drink too, but I dont see it as often. Right now I’ve been going between adding a little bit of sugar to the water. She stands with her head tucked back into her chest very far or it droops forward awkwardly. She’ll kinda snake her neck from side to side occasionally.
I wondered at first if the lethargy wasn’t because she was about to lay (her buddy got kind of “meh” before laying but only a day or two) but she hasn’t yet.
Her body condition is poor but her feathers are full and healthy, if I didn’t hold her regularly I probably wouldn’t look at her and think she was skinny. She has had a little bit of messy tail feathers but her droppings seem normal otherwise.
When I feel her body there is no swelling her crop never feels full, nothing to suggest an egg is stuck. But there is a bony protrusion of her neck, like a hard s curve. Is this a way wry neck can present?? If it’s been going on a few weeks is there any chance I can help her? Her buddy is fine, keeping an eye on her though.

Make sure you feel her crop right before bed to gauge how much she is eating, and then again in the morning to make sure it’s completely empty.

If you check her vent, does it look wide like a coin purse or small like a cat’s bum? That will give you an indication as to whether she is about to lay or not.

You can give her 1/4-1/2 a human B complex daily and 400IU vitamin E for at least a week to see if that helps her neck/posture.

See if you can tempt her to eat some tuna or scrambled eggs which will give protein and also selenium to help with vitamin E uptake.

Have you considered coccidiosis? Often it can affect young birds and present with lethargy and white/bloody diarrhoea. If you think it could be this and want to treat, don’t give the B vitamins as amprolium medication works by blocking thiamine.

Make sure you feel her crop right before bed to gauge how much she is eating, and then again in the morning to make sure it’s completely empty.

If you check her vent, does it look wide like a coin purse or small like a cat’s bum? That will give you an indication as to whether she is about to lay or not.

You can give her 1/4-1/2 a human B complex daily and 400IU vitamin E for at least a week to see if that helps her neck/posture.

See if you can tempt her to eat some tuna or scrambled eggs which will give protein and also selenium to help with vitamin E uptake.

Have you considered coccidiosis? Often it can affect young birds and present with lethargy and white/bloody diarrhoea. If you think it could be this and want to treat, don’t give the B vitamins as amprolium medication works by blocking thiamine.
Would it hurt to treat her for coccidiosis first? See if there’s any improvement in a day or two? I hadn’t really thought of if since she’s been the only one doing poorly out of the 4 who have been housed together. Would I need to treat her coopmate? Thank you so much for your reply!

Would it hurt to treat her for coccidiosis first? See if there’s any improvement in a day or two? I hadn’t really thought of if since she’s been the only one doing poorly out of the 4 who have been housed together. Would I need to treat her coopmate? Thank you so much for your reply!

Generally you can treat for coccidiosis with no issues and treat the whole flock at the same time. However I do know if chickens have vitamin deficiency it’s best to get onto it ASAP.

Can you upload a video of her to YouTube and share it here? It might give us a clearer idea of the neck situation.

Sorry she seemed like she was getting better with the addition of poultry cell. But she’s gotten floppy again and lost weight.

I would be doing what @Lillith37 suggested above with the E, scrambled eggs, and B-complex.

Did you treat her yet with Corid yet or choose not to?

If her butt is messy and it reeks, she's got vent gleet most likely. I'd give her sugar-free Greek yogurt or Hydro-Hen or one of those powders in her water daily. You can buy Monistat cream like for women, wash her butt, and spread this on it, at least once a day, preferably twice. It may take a week to get over this.

To get her to eat better, I'd make her a thick mash out of crumbles/water in a small dish. Ours think that's candy for some reason.

I would be doing what @Lillith37 suggested above with the E, scrambled eggs, and B-complex.

Did you treat her yet with Corid yet or choose not to?

If her butt is messy and it reeks, she's got vent gleet most likely. I'd give her sugar-free Greek yogurt or Hydro-Hen or one of those powders in her water daily. You can buy Monistat cream like for women, wash her butt, and spread this on it, at least once a day, preferably twice. It may take a week to get over this.

To get her to eat better, I'd make her a thick mash out of crumbles/water in a small dish. Ours think that's candy for some reason.
Yes! I’m going to try corrid, she’s always been kind of a lazy baby (we got her in November) I thought it was her personality but now I’m wondering if she hasn’t had something going on this whole time. I’ll get then e and B complex too..
Her smell is almost like cat pee? I didn’t really notice it so much until I separated her. Going to bath her and give her the warmer after I treat her vent. I hope she can tough it out. We love her dearly. Thank you all for all your help. I’ll definitely keep you posted. The hen she was with is still doing great. She’s also a silky just a couple of months older. I have them separated but close. Mostly so I can monitor what Kiwi is eating and drinking.

Yes! I’m going to try corrid, she’s always been kind of a lazy baby (we got her in November) I thought it was her personality but now I’m wondering if she hasn’t had something going on this whole time. I’ll get then e and B complex too..
Her smell is almost like cat pee? I didn’t really notice it so much until I separated her. Going to bath her and give her the warmer after I treat her vent. I hope she can tough it out. We love her dearly. Thank you all for all your help. I’ll definitely keep you posted. The hen she was with is still doing great. She’s also a silky just a couple of months older. I have them separated but close. Mostly so I can monitor what Kiwi is eating and drinking.
After the Corid, for sure she'll need the vitamins and probiotics but during Corid, don't give her the vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom