Silkie losing weight

After the Corid, for sure she'll need the vitamins and probiotics but during Corid, don't give her the vitamins.

Going to bath her and give her the warmer after I treat her vent.

So Corid treats coccidia, the protozoa parasite that causes coccidiosis. Coccidia is not a worm and Corid is not a wormer, just to be clear.

Corid is an amprolium based medication which works by blocking uptake of vitamin B, specifically B1 thiamine, which kills the parasite. This is why you must not administer supplementary vitamins during the course of treatment. Offering supplementary vitamins will render the medication ineffective. Regular chick crumbles is okay.

Sorry she seemed like she was getting better with the addition of poultry cell. But she’s gotten floppy again and lost weight.

She does look weak but her neck isn’t twisting and her legs look oriented the correct way. Can she place her feet in proper position on the ground, with forward toes facing forward and back toe facing back? Can she stand up by herself or always sits on hocks?

I would do the full course of Corid as per package instructions and then once that is done, supplement with poultry cell/vitamin B and E, scrambled egg.

Whilst doing the Corid you can soak her crumbles in buttermilk. This will make it more palatable hopefully and buttermilk will soothe her intestines and provide probiotics.

You can trim her vent feathers after you’ve given her a bath to hopefully keep them a little cleaner. The ammonia smell is most likely from the build up of poopy stuff.

I’m still pressing on but nothing seems to be helping and shes too weak to eat now. I’m forcing the corrid on her, keeping her clean. Shes just not coming back. We started corrid on Wednesday, and she seemed ok Thursday and almost perky Friday. Then this morning I found her sprawled out on her side under her warmer. Sitting here trying to coax her to have some water drenched egg and she’s just kind of spread out and sad. She won’t even open her eyes. Could she have been injured internally?

Her buddy is beside herself, just hanging as close as they can get to eachother making mama hen sounds. I’m tempted to put them together just for the end here. Kiwi herself will still coo a little if my daughter picks her up and loves on her.

I’m still pressing on but nothing seems to be helping and shes too weak to eat now. I’m forcing the corrid on her, keeping her clean. Shes just not coming back. We started corrid on Wednesday, and she seemed ok Thursday and almost perky Friday. Then this morning I found her sprawled out on her side under her warmer. Sitting here trying to coax her to have some water drenched egg and she’s just kind of spread out and sad. She won’t even open her eyes. Could she have been injured internally?

Her buddy is beside herself, just hanging as close as they can get to eachother making mama hen sounds. I’m tempted to put them together just for the end here. Kiwi herself will still coo a little if my daughter picks her up and loves on her.

Oh no that’s bad news I’m sorry to hear she’s taken a turn for the worse. I should think if it was coccidiosis she would continue to improve. Do you have access to a vet? I would keep them together if they are happier that way.

Back
Top Bottom