Silkie with scaly leg mites

OP you might want to see if you can change this thread title. Your chicken is not this poorly because of a few leg mites (though I don't believe she has a mite infestation, her feet look OK to me)

The OP has said that she will eat if hand fed. That is preferable to tubing, much less stressful for all, plus they haven't got the equipment anyway. If she stops eating then perhaps tubing is needed, but it doesn't seem necessary right now when she will eat if guided to.
Alright sounds reasonable I assumed tubing advice was needed bc that is the path they were going to take 👍 I hope I could have helped anyway

I agree you can get more volume in, but on the other hand it is also pretty invasive and distressing (and risky if not done right) so should be a last resort in my view. If she were my chicken (and I am not a vet so can only speak from my own research and experience) then I would feed and hydrate her every two hours during the day with a high calorie food mash, even if she only took a little either by herself or by oral syringe into her beak (not tube), and I would only tube her if she wouldn't or couldn't swallow by herself (and would be considering euthanasia too by that point).

Just my opinion fwiw.

I think there are two issues here: 1) to find out what is ailing her and treat it, and 2) to keep her alive while you do this.

I agree you can get more volume in, but on the other hand it is also pretty invasive and distressing (and risky if not done right) so should be a last resort in my view. If she were my chicken (and I am not a vet so can only speak from my own research and experience) then I would feed and hydrate her every two hours during the day with a high calorie food mash, even if she only took a little either by herself or by oral syringe into her beak (not tube), and I would only tube her if she wouldn't or couldn't swallow by herself (and would be considering euthanasia too by that point).

Just my opinion fwiw.

I think there are two issues here: 1) to find out what is ailing her and treat it, and 2) to keep her alive while you do this.
All good points.
I agree. Quality of life needs to be considered, how long does one continue to care for a bird that can't eat/drink/walk/stand on their own.

I have started tube feeding her to make sure she is getting enough nutrition. How much should she get a day? She is a 21 week old Silkie.
Info was posted in the links previously, but here it is again.
I notice you were posting on your other thread(s) to so provide you the link there too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
"""" When crop feeding a bird, calculate the volume to be fed at 3ml per 100gms up to every six hours for adults. Juveniles are fed 10 percent of their body weight several times a day. Always check the crop first for food contents or decreased crop motility before feeding. Weighing the bird at the beginning of every day will help determine if it is receiving the appropriate amount of calories. """

Info was posted in the links previously, but here it is again.
I notice you were posting on your other thread(s) to so provide you the link there too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/
"""" When crop feeding a bird, calculate the volume to be fed at 3ml per 100gms up to every six hours for adults. Juveniles are fed 10 percent of their body weight several times a day. Always check the crop first for food contents or decreased crop motility before feeding. Weighing the bird at the beginning of every day will help determine if it is receiving the appropriate amount of calories. """
Thank you, we have been tube feeding for several days. She handles it very well, but she still doesn't seem to be putting her weight back on.

Also, do I need to do something with her beak? It seems to be getting long on the top.

Attachments

• 20200921_111743.jpg
    20200921_111743.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 5
Are you weighing her every morning?

What does your tube regiment look like?
We have been giving her a mix with her chick grower and flock raiser mixed with water and some vitamins. We had been feeding her 4 times a day, but her digestion seems to have slowed down.

Back
Top Bottom