Silkie with swollen face and eye

RedBrush Farm

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2011
Missouri
One day she was fine, next morning one side of face and eye so swollen it looked as if it could pop. Isolated her and noticed she is skinnier than usual. She has no nasal discharge or coughing. Her mouth is slightly open due to the swelling. She did eat and drink yesterday. Today we decided to "put pressure" on it and see what happened. The most foul smelling yellow liquid came out... it was really nasty. We got what we feel was at least a tablespoon if not more out of her eye. This evening we did the same thing but not as much came out but some of it was brown and some blood was present. We are giving her poultry antibiotic. Does anyone know what it is and what i can do for it? Please help. She is not just part of the flock, she is a pet.

I would give her either oral or an injectable antibiotic, plus use antibiotic eye drops on her. And if the place where all the "goo" came out is away from her eye, also use something like neosporin on it.

Last edited:
You can pick up an antibiotic eye ointment at like a tractor supply or feed store. I believe one is called Terramycin. It is pricey for a small tube but hopefully will help clear it up. It is hard to say what it is especially if she is not showing any respiratory symptoms. If they have a rspiratory infection, it can also show up in the eyes. Could also be she injured it and it got infected. Do you have any other chickens and are any of them showing symptoms?

I think teramycin (available at most feed type stores) eye drops should work, but if you're desperate you could also use neosprin in the eye. Also might try putting warm moist compresses over the area occassionally, that will help compartmentalize the infection. There is also a homeopathic product called PRID which comes in a little orange tin (Walmart carries it in human first aid section, about $2-3). It is a tarry black drawing salve that works really well at drawing out infection and things like splinters. DON'T put the Prid in the eye, just on the skin.

Last edited:
I have several silkies and they were all together. None of the others have any problems. I do have a peacock that will peck at them sometimes. I thank you for the information. I will get the drops tomorrow. Thanks

will post photo tomorrow. didn't think about taking one today. Am really worried about her. Will just wait and see till tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom