SILKIE WITH WRY NECK

parrotlady66

Chirping
Apr 8, 2019
Hi All, our young silkie girl has had a lot if health issues , we brought her home back in November 2019 she was about 5 weeks old. SInce then she has had so many problems. She started off good and then one day could not walk and would fall over ,we had no idea what was wrong I was so scared she had Marecks .. well not the case , a few day later she was fine and up and walking again.. not the greatest but she was. That lasted a few weeks , now she can't stand or walk her head is twisted and hasn't been able to now for almost two months ,she is on our house and is kept in a cage in the kitchen, we take her out and feed her several times a day. we try and exercise her legs , she is getting the stress vitamin in her water , getting Vitamin E in her food, i make her scrambled egg and she gets fruit as well and her pellets.
we have also noticed she won't open her eyes now, only once in a while. we have concluded she has wry neck and we have been trying everything possible to treat her for it. we have made her a type of chair we put her legs through so that they are not splayed out in front of her. we do not leave her in it all day , at night we nest her up in a blanket to keep her upright and safe ,My heart breaks for her I do not know if she is in pain, she likes to eat and drink all right .. I just don't know what more we can do for her. Does anyone think she will come around and get better again, we just don't want her to suffer
thank you

One of the most common mistakes folks make when treating a chicken for wry neck with vitamin E is not to give enough E. Are you giving 400iu minimum daily? It helps to give the entire capsule directly into the beak with a sliver of selenium for better absorption of the E.

Sometimes it takes some wry neck victims longer to respond. Keep trying.

On the other hand, this Silkie may have sustained a head injury early on that is providing an underpinning for the wry neck to persist. This may be an issue that won't be inclined to ever completely resolve.

She started off good and then one day could not walk and would fall over ,we had no idea what was wrong I was so scared she had Marecks .. well not the case , a few day later she was fine and up and walking again.. not the greatest but she was. That lasted a few weeks , now she can't stand or walk her head is twisted and hasn't been able to now for almost two months
she is getting the stress vitamin in her water , getting Vitamin E in her food, i make her scrambled egg and she gets fruit as well and her pellets.
we have also noticed she won't open her eyes now, only once in a while. we have concluded she has wry neck and we have been trying everything possible to treat her for it. we have made her a type of chair we put her legs through so that they are not splayed out in front of her.
I'm sorry about your Silkie.

I would have to say it sounds like Marek's to me. She had trouble, got a little better, then declined. It's been 2 months that she cannot walk, if she's not in the chair, her legs splay out in front of her. Marek's can also affect the eye muscles/nerves making it hard for the bird to open them.

Wry Neck is a symptom. Causes of this symptom is Mareks, sometimes Vitamin E deficiency and head injury.

If you have been giving Vitamin E daily, egg (which is sufficient for Selenium) and other vitamins for 2 months, then I would hesitate to give more. Vitamin E is not water soluble, so long term it should not be given in therapeutic amounts.

I'm very sorry you are dealing with this, but her quality of life needs to be considered. If you happen to lose her, sending the body to your state lab will give you some answers.

I'm sorry about your Silkie.

I would have to say it sounds like Marek's to me. She had trouble, got a little better, then declined. It's been 2 months that she cannot walk, if she's not in the chair, her legs splay out in front of her. Marek's can also affect the eye muscles/nerves making it hard for the bird to open them.

Wry Neck is a symptom. Causes of this symptom is Mareks, sometimes Vitamin E deficiency and head injury.

If you have been giving Vitamin E daily, egg (which is sufficient for Selenium) and other vitamins for 2 months, then I would hesitate to give more. Vitamin E is not water soluble, so long term it should not be given in therapeutic amounts.

I'm very sorry you are dealing with this, but her quality of life needs to be considered. If you happen to lose her, sending the body to your state lab will give you some answers.
HI
Thank you for your reply, we have other chickens outside and we have a silkie Roo in the house he happens to be her sibling so at night they sleep in the same cage
If it was Mareks would he have not gotten it too ,he is very healthy and looks fabulous a very pretty colors. We have been trying our best with her I have reached out to the fella we got her from and he said he has never had any problems with wry neck or Mareks in his flock , he has several different breeds of chickens.
we just lost our other silkie girl a couple weeks back she was egg bound. I feel like a terrible chicken mom ..
i appreciate your help
Sandy

HI
Thank you for your reply, we have other chickens outside and we have a silkie Roo in the house he happens to be her sibling so at night they sleep in the same cage
If it was Mareks would he have not gotten it too ,he is very healthy and looks fabulous a very pretty colors. We have been trying our best with her I have reached out to the fella we got her from and he said he has never had any problems with wry neck or Mareks in his flock , he has several different breeds of chickens.
we just lost our other silkie girl a couple weeks back she was egg bound. I feel like a terrible chicken mom ..
i appreciate your help
Sandy
He could have it and show no symptoms (Asymptomatic). Some birds show infection while others don't.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Back
Top Bottom