Silkie x ISA brown

Not an ISA, no... but I do know a few things about genetics, and I have crossed silkies with EE, Wyandotte, and OEGB.

White silkies are generally recessive white, which means that your chicks should not be white. (because it takes two recessive whites to make a white chicken, and he can only pass on one recessive white gene.) However, there's no way of knowing what pattern gene they carry under all that recessive white fluff, and ISA's carry a dominant white gene that can make the offspring almost completely white.

Basically, you could get just about anything colourwise. Black, white, red, partridge, etc. I got a blue tuxedo rooster from one of these crosses. (Really wanted to keep that boy...)

There are a few things that we do know for certain, though.

Extra toes, dark skin, crests, and beards/muffs (if your silkie is muffed/bearded) are dominant. Normal feathering is dominant, but there will be more fluffiness in the offspring than in the mother.

Roosters may have light legs, but hens will definitely have dark ones (leg color and skin colour are two different things, weirdly.) The walnut comb of the rooster should cross with the single comb of the hen to create something like a rosecomb, as many comb genetics are co-dominant (co-dominant genes combine. Dominant/recessive genes have only one outcome--that of the dominant gene.)

Hope this helps, and a random google image search turned up this picture:

8239913595_364cfd55b4.jpg

Not an ISA, no... but I do know a few things about genetics, and I have crossed silkies with EE, Wyandotte, and OEGB.

White silkies are generally recessive white, which means that your chicks should not be white. (because it takes two recessive whites to make a white chicken, and he can only pass on one recessive white gene.) However, there's no way of knowing what pattern gene they carry under all that recessive white fluff, and ISA's carry a dominant white gene that can make the offspring almost completely white.

Basically, you could get just about anything colourwise. Black, white, red, partridge, etc. I got a blue tuxedo rooster from one of these crosses. (Really wanted to keep that boy...)

Extra toes, dark skin, crests, and beards/muffs (if your silkie is muffed/bearded) are dominant. Normal feathering is dominant, but there will be more fluffiness in the offspring than in the mother.

Roosters may have light legs, but hens will definitely have dark ones (leg color and skin colour are two different things, weirdly.) The walnut comb of the rooster should cross with the single comb of the hen to create something like a rosecomb, as many comb genetics are co-dominant (co-dominant genes combine. Dominant/recessive genes have only one outcome--that of the dominant gene.)

Wow thanks for the very helpful info really helps!

Here is a pic of my cross breed. All white silkie roo with isa brown hen

Attachments

• 13B20191-8F9D-4DBC-987A-877AF6068738.jpeg
    13B20191-8F9D-4DBC-987A-877AF6068738.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 115
Any one crossed a silkie with an ISA brown hen? If so what would they look like? As my white roo silkie started mating.
Any photos would be appreciated
Not crossbred on purpose but here is mine (Angel) at 15 weeks! Silkie Roo, Ilsa hen. She also has 2 double toes, one on each foot, lol!

Attachments

• ED8170E8-E16C-4D14-9CC1-55EAB77CCFE6.png
    ED8170E8-E16C-4D14-9CC1-55EAB77CCFE6.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 47

Back
Top Bottom