Silkie X Leghorn Crosses

Hello! I know this thread is very old but I also have a broody hen sitting on 4 White leghorn and Black silkie mixes. They are due to hatch in about a week and I was wondering if you had any adult pictures of those chickens. If you did that would be great! Thanks!!

I have hatched some eggs and two have turned out to be a leghorn silkie cross an the other is a Americana silkie cross .... neither have the extra toe ... is that normal? I bought the eggs from a lady that six different breed hens An two roosters one being a silkie annthe other a leghorn .... the other type hens didn't have feathered legs so I know it has to come from him right ... the missing fifth toe has me stumped
1f914.png
... do you have any input?

Does anyone have pics of a Silkie X Leghorn cross? I have some eggs in the bator with Brown Leghorn & White Leghorn eggs with the same Splash Silkie roo. I am curious as to what the chicks may look like. I haven't found any in the Silkie mutt thread.
I do he’s cute

Attachments

• A041BE9B-9D25-4125-906D-25174D799A3B.jpeg
    A041BE9B-9D25-4125-906D-25174D799A3B.jpeg
    410.5 KB · Views: 109
Quote:

Why doesn't it work the other way?

Because Id(Inhibitor Dermal) wich is a Sex link gene, Silkies are id+(recessive) and Leghorns are Id(dominant) FM(Fibromelanotic, the gene that makes silkies skin black is NOT sex lined but can only be expressed with the help of id+ )

id+ being recessive will not be expressed in Boys that will have Id from her mother, even if they carry Fm they will look normal(not black skin) BUT since Girls will be id+ Only(no Id gen in them) they will fully express Fibromelanosis

Boys will be Id/id+(Id from Leghorn Female, id+ from silkie hen) Fm/fm+ (dominant Fibromelanotic from Silkie roo) they will not be black skinned
Girls will be id+/-(they can only have one copy of that gene because its sex lined and hens are ZW, but boys are ZZ, Id, or id+ is in cromosome Z) and Fm/fm+ they will have Dark skin from hatch...

big_smile.png
WOW thank you for this information! This is so helpful. I have silkie roos and a bunch of standard hens...including a leghorn. Would you happen to know what other hens are Id-dominant and would therefore follow the same sex link genetics?

Any Hen that has yellow or white Shanks have Id dermal inhibitor
We were just talking about this on another thread as well. What about Silkie roo over Polish hens? The polish hens were hatched with yellowish orange legs that later turned gray with pink feet as they matured.😊

WOW thank you for this information! This is so helpful. I have silkie roos and a bunch of standard hens...including a leghorn. Would you happen to know what other hens are Id-dominant and would therefore follow the same sex link genetics?
Looking into this as well! Would be good to compare notes if we get any chicks out of it LOL. Oh and welcome to BYC!😊

Any Hen that has yellow or white Shanks have Id dermal inhibitor
Thanks! So here are my 2-wk old chicks from a silkie dad and leghorn mom. Are the shanks dark enough on chick B to be a hen you think? It also seems that chick A might have a comb growing in already. Neither dark skin though...

Attachments

• 04DE6B96-FE8A-433A-A2CE-F2CDE103A8B3.jpeg
    04DE6B96-FE8A-433A-A2CE-F2CDE103A8B3.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 47B3A29E-329D-461A-A37D-72C9EAF0F4D5.jpeg
    47B3A29E-329D-461A-A37D-72C9EAF0F4D5.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 72

Back
Top Bottom