Silkie x ?

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
Hi! Curiosity post here (pic heavy). I have 3 chicks approaching 6 weeks old that were sold to me by a breeder as silkies, however, they all look different. As they feathered out and I realized how their appearances varied, I asked the breeder if there was something they could be mixed with and was told the only possibility of a "mix" was a frizzled cochin. I do not have any plans to show birds, so I am really not concerned about it (actually I am in love with their uniqueness), however I am very interested and would like to understand the whole silkie/sizzle/frizzle genetics thing. May consider hatching some chicks later and am trying to learn as much as possible. Would love any info, input, pics, etc any of you can share about my birds! Pics below. (I'm assuming they are too young to guess on gender, but if you have any tips to share, those would be appreciated also!) Thanks!

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg image2 (2).jpeg image2.jpeg
Pics 1-4 are Winifred. She has smooth, very soft gray feathers with a huge topknot. Legs are lightly feathered. She only has 4 toes, and has black skin but you can see the tips of her toes are yellow. Comb is basically non-existent.

image0 (5).jpeg image1 (3).jpeg image3.jpeg image0 (3).jpeg
Pics 4-8 are Shady. She has very fluffy black feathers tipped with brown that are even softer, and appear fuzzy. Most of the feathers around her tail and feet area are silkie-type. She has black skin and 5 toes, and her feet are pretty heavily-feathered. Her comb appears to be a single row.

image4.jpeg image5.jpeg image6.jpeg image7 (2).jpeg
Pics 9-12 are Penelope. She is very petite, mostly white with splashes of black. She has traditional silkie feathers, with black skin, 5 toes and feathered feet. Her comb isn't visible (to me).

Last edited:
Hello, the first one looks like a silkie/polish mix but it could be a silky/cushion mix. The second one definitely looks like a silky cushion mix with those fuzzy feet. The third one looks like a traditional white silkie. To me I don't see any Frizzle in any of them.

First 2 are mixes. 3rd is a Silkie. The first two look like pullets so far, the Silkie is too young to sex.

There’s only something like a 50% chance the frizzle would pass her frizzle genes onto the chicks, which is why they have normal feathers. There’s plenty of information on genetics online.

/cushion mix. The second one definitely looks like a silky cushion

What do you mean by cushion mix? I think only Chanteclers have cushion combs.

First 2 are mixes. 3rd is a Silkie. The first two look like pullets so far, the Silkie is too young to sex.

There’s only something like a 50% chance the frizzle would pass her frizzle genes onto the chicks, which is why they have normal feathers. There’s plenty of information on genetics online.

What do you mean by cushion mix? I think only Chanteclers have cushion combs.

Sorry I meant to say cochin mix.

@featheredplanets So, if they (first two pictured) are indeed a mix of a frizzled cochin and a silkie, does this make them a "sizzle" or is that only true if they show the frizzled gene? I have read quite a bit about this, but lots of folks are contradictory and I am confused lol.

@featheredplanets So, if they (first two pictured) are indeed a mix of a frizzled cochin and a silkie, does this make them a "sizzle" or is that only true if they show the frizzled gene? I have read quite a bit about this, but lots of folks are contradictory and I am confused lol.

I’m sorry but I have no idea. I don’t do chicken genetics, just the basics. Though I would think they’d need to have curly feathers as sizzles aren’t smooth

A "satin" would be a silkie mixed with smooth feather cochin (or smooth feather gene, if the frizzle didn't pass down).

Back
Top Bottom