Silkied Ameraucana Project

He won't take treats from me, which is usually my first step in handling - would actually rather miss out on the treats than get close. Right now he just stink eyes me while the rest crowd for treats.

Short of grabbing him while sleeping he really is untouchable.

Wow never had a chicken that flighty. Even among the flightier breeds. And I've always found AM's to be very docile. Sounds like he's even worse then my guinea keets.

Wow never had a chicken that flighty. Even among the flightier breeds. And I've always found AM's to be very docile. Sounds like he's even worse then my guinea keets.

If he starts shrieking like a guinea, he's a gonner LOL! I can't take that ever again...never, ever again.

Yeah, I'd say on par with unhandled guineas for flighty behavior. I had 3 guineas I kept, and deliberately didn't tame up, thinking it'd help them be better watch birds for the flock as they were raised together. Not so good at being watch birds when they alarm at your own presence.

Since he hates me already, maybe I just need to make a nightly thing of grabbing him and holding him until he calms down enough to eat treats while held in my lap. He can't really be worse to catch if it backfires.

Well at least my keets come for the "treats" I give them. Flies moths etc... They only freak out when it comes to catching them to clean their brooder.

Yeah, if the nightly thing dosen't help do you have a cage in the house where he can see you alot and maybe get used to you that way? Maybe bring him in each night and putting him back out with the others during the day. t
That way he gets a bit lonely for his flock, associates you with rescue, treats and getting him back with them? If that dosen't help I don't know that I would cull him for it - but it would sure have me looking harder for an excuse to....

May be too hot to ship some places but I'm sorting through getting ready to move to next gen on the choc/mauve SiAms. These will be the last offered until I am ready to release them. I have a pen of this spring's breeders 1-3 pairs - all splits, if someone wanted on board with the project. Also 2 blue cockerels I kept in a back up pen that are likely silkied splits and 50/50 split for choc $20 each on those. Have quite a few blue and splash splits chicks and juvies available. Am NPIP AI Monitored and can ship to most states - cool packs and watching the temps to work around the heat. Sorting through the next couple days so I'll have a better idea of what is available. Pls PM with interest or questions.

I won't be selling eggs on the next gen going forward - chicks and juvies will go to auction or occasionally offered through website.

That's awesome news and a great opportunity for new folks to join in!

I think I have my egg storage issues worked out and will resume hatching in a few weeks to test it out again. Enjoying a break where all the chicks are out in the barn pens except a set of 30 chicks hatched out (first success of the egg storage changes), which will give me time to cleanup brooders. And all my broodies broke before hatching anything save one, and I think she's due any day now with luck.

Still working on Raptor chick, but making progress. Older chicks are growing out lovely, so many black splits to use next year. That's about all the updates I have so far.

I have a couple silkied Roos available for local pickup. Might consider shipping. Pm me if interested. Mocksville NC.

Update time.

Gold based pure Black line SiAms - BS Pen: Have 2 line bred black SiAm split pullets now being covered by a related full silkied black cockerel and a full silkied outcross black from BBS breedings penned. These are all straight KatCai foundation with no lav or choc influence from 2 divergent sources that have had outcrosses to different hard feather lines. The outside cockerel coming from BBS breeding may need a little tweaking if he happens to carry some silver base with him but a small price to pay (easily bred out to correct in offspring) with the opportunity for the infusion of fresh blood vigor. Great egg color with these, good comb and type in all 4.

Choc/Mauve/BBS line SiAms - From ChooksChicks C/M line, The 2 first mauve/splash from last season (+1 from this year) split for Silkied Roos are being pulled from breeding duty and will be held as back up over winter in a bachelor pen containing split for choc and silkied(?) cockerels. The first gen of choc males reverted to more Orp type with single combs etc but bred to Siam girls we're back to pea combs in offspring. If there is interest if and when these would become available please PM.

In C1 Pen: This season there are 2 full silkied Choc/Mauve cockerels who will be put over unrelated blue and splash full silkied KatCai foundation line pullets and BBS hardfeather Redden line outcrosses. This too will provide vigor and size in full silkied and assured silkied splits produced. All pullets produced will be choc/mauve and all cockerels will be for sure split to choc.

In C2 Pen: A HUGE full silkied splash out of a split for choc ChooksChick roo and a KatCai line pullet that I am really hoping is also split for choc will be put over full silkied and split choc/mauve pullets and hard feather Redden line pullets. If he is carrying choc there will be mauve cockerels as well as pullets produced. If he's not carrying choc (or out of the Redden pullets) only split for choc cockerels will be. In either scenario - all either full silkied or assured silkied splits and line breeding continues on the CC line with an infusion of fresh blood.

In C3 Pen: Black full silkied CC roo that has yet to prove if he is split for choc or not will be allowed a little more time to prove himself with a mauve split hen before being pulled from the program if not. If there is interest if and when he would become available please PM.

Pure BBS SiAms - I have a good number of males and females from 2 lines but currently have them dispersed in other SiAm color project pens for outcrossing at this time.

Lav/Lav Cuckoo/Cuckoo/Choc Cuckoo - pen CC. Due to limited pens and only a few birds got creative in this pen and will have to go by what hatches to figgure out the breeding. Hard feather single barred cuckoo cockerel split to lav, lav cuckoo and lav pullets. Black full silkied cockerel split to lav. Mauve splash full silkied pullet. Any double barred lav cuckoo cockerels or lav cuckoo pullets will go into the hard feather lav cuckoo program. Single bar lav cockerels could be hard feather or split to silkied and will need to be test bred to determine if the cuckoo came from mother or father - in either case they can be used in the silkied lav cuckoo project. Lav cuckoo pullets can only be from a hard feather breeding and can be used in the hard feather lav cuckoo project. Black or black cuckoo may or may not be split for silkied but can be used in the lav programs. Any type of blues came from the splash mauve pullet and males would be split to choc and all split for silkied. Any full silkied would be out of the silkied lav split and the silkied mauve. Not optimum but the best way to ensure capturing gene combo's to go forward with should something happen to foundation stock.

Isabel Lav/Choc Wheaten - I really need to put more effort in this direction. Since I don't have a lav Silkied pullet at this time next best would be a black silkied girl to test if my roo is even split to Silkied or not. It's obvious that he is carrying Isabel and wheaten. I need to watch for choc pullets as well as that is also a possibility that may also be present (not my breeding - I asked for wildcards). There is a gal now working on hardfeather lav wheatens that I may tap if he is at least split for silkied. If not with all on my plate I may pack this project up or pass him on if there is interest.

Last edited:
Is there anyone selling eggs? I keep checking eBay and the sales forum and no luck there. I still have the original birds from eggs that I got from Jubaby but I was only able to hatch normal feathered F1 birds, and have had no luck in getting silkied chicks from them. I ended up crossing them with Silkies to get some outside blood into them. I'm still having a tough time breeding the black skin, extra toes and the occasional crest out of them. But they have the very docile and sweet disposition of the Silkie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom