Silkied Ameraucana Project

I just found this thread and after the disappointment of hatching three "Amerucauna" eggs I was bummed to realize I had been mislead. I am bound and determined to get real Amerucaunas and now that I know they come in the silkie variety, I am even more determined. Oh gosh they are SOOO cute!

Many people have been disappointed with their purchases because of all the naming confusion around Ameraucanas/Araucanas/Easter Eggers, etc. I have found a booming local market selling BBS Am chicks because pure Ams are almost always hard to locate. The silkied feathering is neat, but not without it's drawbacks, they are not as weather-proof (water soaks right through to their skin) and can't fly well (might be a feature for some folks, but they need low roosts and are more likely to be taken by predators). I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting silkied Ams, just noting that they have special needs compared to normal feathered ones.

Many people have been disappointed with their purchases because of all the naming confusion around Ameraucanas/Araucanas/Easter Eggers, etc. I have found a booming local market selling BBS Am chicks because pure Ams are almost always hard to locate. The silkied feathering is neat, but not without it's drawbacks, they are not as weather-proof (water soaks right through to their skin) and can't fly well (might be a feature for some folks, but they need low roosts and are more likely to be taken by predators). I'm not trying to dissuade you from getting silkied Ams, just noting that they have special needs compared to normal feathered ones.

Thanks for the tips. I was planning on running a coop for making OES and I also wanted to expiriment with silkie crosses, these guy would let me do two in one. Those dreams are a couple years off though. I can only have 10 hens and I have 11 and a roo right now. Then someday I will have a splash silkie Ameraucana. I'm hoping to have a shed (or 4) to convert to a coop so hopefully that will help keep them dry when I get them.

But these birds don't gave any Silkie in them, and are not SIlkie crosses. 

I meant that they carry the genes for the silkie feather, which is what I want. I didn't know the mutation was in other pure varieties, I thought it was only in the breed named Silkie. But knowing the feather variety is available in pure Ameraucanas is exciting.

Oh Ok - (LOL) I thought you might also want the black skin/extra toe stuff too. My mistake. Fibromelanistic birds are really popular these days.

I love the splash silkied Ameraucanas too - they are gorgeous! Still thinking about how they will fit in my yard next year. So many choices, so much to do!

Oh Ok - (LOL)  I thought you might also want the black skin/extra toe stuff too. My mistake. Fibromelanistic birds are really popular these days.

I love the splash silkied Ameraucanas too - they are gorgeous!  Still thinking about how they will fit in my yard next year.  So many choices, so much to do!

The Ayam Cemani type birds are really pretty, but I want to eat my eggs, and those guys are so spendy it would be hard to justify buying them. I just want soft cuddly chickies.

The Ayam Cemani type birds are really pretty, but I want to eat my eggs, and those guys are so spendy it would be hard to justify buying them. I just want soft cuddly chickies.
Purebred silkied Ayam Cemanis exist but I don't believe that they have been imported to the US. I have only seen them in photos.

I have about 12 silkied ameraucana pullets blue, black and splash in with a blue silkied boy. They that should start laying very soon. I will offer eggs in early Spring.

What do you consider early spring? I really want to get a dozen splash/blue silkied Ameraucana hatching eggs for the Easter HAL. I'm in Spokane WA, what would the cost and shipping be if I wanted to buy eggs from you? Or will you be local pick up only?

Back
Top Bottom