Silkies and buff orphington losing feathers in odd spots, not sure if it’s normal

Skipena

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
Utah
This is my first flock and I’m new here so I opologize if this doesn’t belong in this forum.

my silkies have been losing feathers on their heads and they are in the same coop with a polish chicken who hadn’t shown any signs of feather loss. One of them started eating her own eggs and we are getting that figured out (I’m just stating that in case it’s part of the problem) but I was wondering if it’s molting? Do silkies molt? I don’t know..

mans my third chicken who is in a separate coop with 7 others, she is a Buff Orpington and her butt is completely bare! I don’t know when it happened but it’s been that way for about a week. I haven’t noticed anyone pecking at her and I can’t find a clump of feathers anywhere so I don’t know what happened.

I don’t think I saw any mites? But I’m not sure. I’ll post some pictures so you can see for yourself.. thanks in advance!

E365060A-06B5-4493-91F4-DBFA71D40506.jpeg
3874282E-755C-4C7D-AF92-8ABD309C0D10.jpeg
C9E5B072-DA91-465A-AD1A-AA806A377303.jpeg
F2377171-D26D-4657-8567-432D0892C671.jpeg

This is my first flock and I’m new here so I opologize if this doesn’t belong in this forum.

my silkies have been losing feathers on their heads and they are in the same coop with a polish chicken who hadn’t shown any signs of feather loss. One of them started eating her own eggs and we are getting that figured out (I’m just stating that in case it’s part of the problem) but I was wondering if it’s molting? Do silkies molt? I don’t know..

mans my third chicken who is in a separate coop with 7 others, she is a Buff Orpington and her butt is completely bare! I don’t know when it happened but it’s been that way for about a week. I haven’t noticed anyone pecking at her and I can’t find a clump of feathers anywhere so I don’t know what happened.

I don’t think I saw any mites? But I’m not sure. I’ll post some pictures so you can see for yourself.. thanks in advance!

View attachment 2661795View attachment 2661797View attachment 2661798View attachment 2661800
looks like feather plucking, I dealt with this as well, it is caused by protein deficiency. How much protein do you feed?

looks like feather plucking, I dealt with this as well, it is caused by protein deficiency. How much protein do you feed?
I guess I’ve just never caught her or the others plucking her.
I give them a couple handfuls of oyster shells every couple of days and grubblies daily. Along with their normal feed which is nature’s Best organic egg layer crumbles.
There are 8 chickens in her coop and she’s the only one with this problem. (Also they have a coop that could hold 15 chickens so I don’t think they are annoyed with eachother)

it may be why they are eating eggs, both eggs and feathers contain protein and chickens know it, thus, they may eat their own feathers if they think they need more protein

Back
Top Bottom