Silkies and cold weather

Silkies are very hardy, and we're breed in China were the experienced real winters too. That said, like any chicken, they prefer a tight covered place to sleep at night. IF there is lots of snow, they will like the chance to go out in the afternoon, but may stay in at will. Ours were offered the opportunity to go out in winter afternoons with other chickens they lived with. They did just fine. Locked up tight at night, no wind.

_MG_3480.jpg
_MG_3478.jpg
Mine did just fine :)

I have just a young pullet and rooster born in May. I have a small coop, with some hay in it. I do close them up at night. I was debating on putting them in my big coop with my other chickens and one rooster but am concerned with them getting picked on.

I have just a young pullet and rooster born in May. I have a small coop, with some hay in it. I do close them up at night. I was debating on putting them in my big coop with my other chickens and one rooster but am concerned with them getting picked on.

My silkies get picked on easily, so I separate them as well. Get another silkie hen or two.. or 10.. :p Kidding.. They should be fine though.

Back
Top Bottom