Silkies and Flooding

SarahFair

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Monroe, Ga
Thursday Georgia started getting lots and lots of rain. In the blink of an eye I had a HUGE river came through my yard.
DSCN3780.jpg
DSCN3781.jpg
DSCN3782.jpg
DSCN3785.jpg
DSCN3783.jpg
DSCN3784.jpg

I saw that my silkies quickly got trapped on the ground trying to seek refuge on the raised feeder pan. I rain out there in the middle of the rain to save them. As I scaled the front edge of the chicken coop and struggled to balance myself on the stairs while reaching out to my panicking flopping silkies it occured to me that my neighbors are probly looking out at me like I am nuts and this could have all been avoided by just moving the coop the first time.
roll.png

Well I grabbed them up one by one and had to very gently toss them out the door onto the dry land to keep from falling backwards into a foot of water and chicken poop. Once I scaled my way back to the door I saw 2 of my silkies trying to make their way back to the coop, while being slowly washed away. I grabbed them up and took them into the house. They were shivering and soaked to the bone. I put them in a warm bath and started to wash them. Off came the ants. They were covered in ants that were using my silkies to keep out of the flood! Well I got them all washed up and dried off. They were so tired they were dozing off while waiting for their turn under the drier. While they were finishing up drying I let them sleep on a towel on the bed (my SO didnt really agree with this so he moved them to the dog bed).
roll.png

We had been getting ready to go on vacay so when it was time to leave I put them in a make shift pen on the front porch as I was only going to be gone a few days.

I come back and my silkies had escaped somehow fit their way through the fence and gotten back to the coop. One was dead. My fav one
hit.gif

Im guessing she drowned in the flood.
hit.gif

Im sorry chick chick!
DSCN3764.jpg

I only discovered my yard will do this last winter. My coop flooded then too. I begged my SO to help me move it but once it went down and never happend again it became a out of sight out of mind, oh that was just a 1x thing for him.

All of that water is coming off of run off from a pipe going under a neighbors driveway. Can I get the county out to fix this problem?

I am sooo sorry about your silkie ~ I not very far from you in Georgia ~ and my entire property is flood zone. Luckily my DH has a large shop/garage on the property ~ and I have moved my babies inside in a Large dog cage. I figured that they would deal with being crowded ~ and dry ~ rather than getting risk getting soaked in their pen.

Back
Top Bottom