silkies and the cold...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sunket77, Jan 7, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    yes I am one of those Texans that is concerned about the freezing temps we almost NEVER see... I have one silkie in a flock of 13 and she is the bottom of the totem pole and huddled in a corner by herself. My coop is not insulated and there is no heat, but they are pretty well guarded from drafts. Is she going to be ok since she won't huddle up with the others? My poor babies dealt with 104 plus this summer and a drought and now this! yikes coldest winter in 20 years!

2. 4chickns

4chickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    New Jersey
    I live in New Jersey and was worried about our 2 silkies when it started getting cold. We have been having temps in the teens at night and low twenties during the day and they seem to be just fine. They want to be outside all day, I can't believe they don't want to cuddle up, but they actually can't wait to be let out of their coop in the morning! Is it getting any colder than that by you?
    I'm sure she'll be just fine, as long as the coop is dry and draft-free and she has some straw or bedding to snuggle up in.

3. clucky2

clucky2 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    NORCAL
    You'd laugh at our idea of a cold winter in Northern Cal. but I also have a lone silkie who usually sleeps by herself in a nestbox. She seems just fine, and sometimes even has another big hen try to join her! However, I'm thinking of gettting another silkie to keep her cozy. I don't really want another chicken in our suburban backyard, but I sometimes feel she needs one of her own kind!

4. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    She is so silly... she was one of a trio I kept, the roo got mean and the only way to give him away was with a pullet. If I bring her in she is perfectly content to stay in a laundry basket. But if I leave her in the coop she is a loner and wont try to cuddle with the other birds accept my banty cochin roo, he loves her.

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

If you only have one Silkie in the coop, and she's on the floor by herself, I'd at least put a heat lamp near the floor for her...

Or since she's a Silkie, and deserving of luxurious surroundings, fix her up a pet carrier and take her inside.

Oh wait.. you have 13 Silkies and only one is sleeping away from the flock.... see above.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  6. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Oh no she is the only one in a mixed flock of other breeds...

7. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    aww i would bring her inside. I have a silkie roo but he roost snuggled up between his big girls and keeps snug. Also I have a heated water set up that I think puts out a little heat.
    But If he were not roosting snugly with his big girls I would bring him inside my garage and set him up a heater for sure!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by