SILKIES Anyone?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Up-the-Creek, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Right now I have Partridge rocks and absolutely love heavy breed chickens,...BUT,...I have fell in love with Silkies! They are so cute!! My question is what are they like,tempermant wise? Any info would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sweet, docile, gentle, they do have personality, and as with every breed, there are always exceptions to the general rule.

3. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    I have a7 month rooster who is bossy with the pullets and gets his job done, but friendly to the kids. Also a little princess who will just cuddle up on my lap when I have them out in the yard. We have a mixed coop that get along just fine. We love our fuzzy little silkies.

4. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have to agree. They are very sweet and docile. I have Lavendars, Partdridge and Reds and some black offspring! And they are setting fools! Can't keep them off a nest and they will steel other hens chicks!

5. fjorddreamer

fjorddreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2008
    Nova Scotia
    We have six Silkies and LOVE them. They are quiet, docile, friendly and easy to handle. Even our rooster likes to be cuddled. They are so fun and give us wonderful little eggs. We will be getting more this spring. They are so beautiful to look at and fun to watch.

6. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Our Rooster " Tyson" and DD... Need I say More?? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. THough1956

THough1956 Chillin' With My Peeps

How cute! Both of them!

8. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thanks... I agree, Silkies are by far the most docile that I have owned. I had 3 roos and they all got along and never fought. They run right up to the kids. They were handled alot when they were chicks so I think that has alot to do with it too.

9. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    They have stolen my heart! Sometimes my DH wishes he was one![​IMG]

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Oh great [​IMG] the evil silkies have caught yet another victim [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by