Silkies are dumb as rocks

patman75

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Michigan - in the thumb
These silkies are so dumb.

I just moved 3 silkies out of the brooder and into the grow out catawba tractor. I have done this every year for 6 years and every year the chickens figure out the whole walk up the ramp and sleep upstairs after 1 day/night sometime without any help. But not these silkies. They just sleep on the grass in the corner of the tractor just begging to be grabbed by a coon.
he.gif

Every night I have to move them to the protected top sleeping area. At least they figured out how to come down the ramp. And don't say it is because they can't see with their feathers eyes, they have no obstructed vision.

Will they ever figure it out?

and i thought it was just favaouralles that were mentally challanged.....ive them twice now and i swear they need special ed classes...

x2!!! I gave up on Silkies a long time ago; my birds need to free range and have some survival skills, be able to fly up on roosts in the coop, and generally get along in a mixed flock of chickens. Not to mention they had to stay warm in winter and cool in summer. My Favorelles did much better! It's good to try different breeds that look interesting, and over time your favorites will shine. Mary

Silkies don't like heights and cannot fly, which maybe one reason that they don't want to go up, that and they like to huddle together on the ground/ floor rather than go up higher/ perch.

Back
Top Bottom