1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkies- Bantams or large fowl????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by minister man, Sep 15, 2012.

1. minister man

minister man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    New Brunswick
    I know that silkies are bantams, but they are bigger than some bantams are, so when you are planning housing for them, do you consider them banatms, or large fowl? In the Book " bantams for everyone" he says that breeding pens need 3 sq feet per bird, but is that for smaller bantams?

thanks

2. CGinJCMO

CGinJCMO Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Cole County Missouri
    I have a silkie, approx. 2 months old and he/she is almost as big as the 6 month old d'uccles and 6 month old OEGB pullet. I've read they get to be up to 3 lbs. More than a d'uccle or OEGB, but not as big as Rocks, RIR or other large fowl. For my smaller bantams, I actually think 2 square feet of housing per bird is appropriate, but for the silkie, because it seems to be growing larger already, I'd go with the 3 ft.sq. estimate.

Don't know if I actually got your question answered, but I would be interested in knowing other replies you get so I know if my silkie stays with the bantams or moves over to the larger side of the coop.

CG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by