Silkies brooding chicks in Jan/Feb? Likely to be successful?

FenDruadin

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Charlotte, NC Area
We had to lock the chickens up in their coop for a day and a half yesterday for a city permit inspection. Apparently, being locked in the coop with the couple of eggs they laid that day was enough to drive young Spirit (she's less than a year old) to go broody.

What are the odds she'll be able to bring those babies to hatch? And keep them warm enough after they hatch? Anyone have experience with this? Or should I try to break her broodiness now before she gets too invested? She's never hatched eggs, but she did raise her own sister from when her sister was 2 weeks old after their mother was killed.

Also, I guess I need to separate her from the other hen now, to prevent a staggered hatch, right? Can I leave her locked in her half of the coop (it can be split in half) with food & water, or does she need the opportunity to run outdoors a couple times a day? And will it be bad for her to be alone at night when the temps drop?

Maybe it would be better to mark the eggs and daily remove fresh ones. What do you think?

Thoughts or suggestions welcome! Thanks!

P.S. Temps drop below 30 at night sometimes, but not often. It may snow this winter... or it may not. The coldest it might get would be in the lower 20s. Rarely lower than that. And it tends to warm up during the day. Sometimes we even get days in the 70s, but usually it's 30s to 50s in Jan & Feb.

Back
Top Bottom