silkies crest feathers getting stuck and blocking her nose holes.

theres a lot more goo on her nose tonight.
8948372B-DF28-4995-99A4-1E2336C8EC9F.jpeg
EF917B78-E5C4-426F-9921-BBB451770E88.jpeg

I have a paint silkie called poppy and lately I have been having to peel her crest feathers out of her air ways. I have no clue whats going on. But I’m scared they will get blocked and she won’t be able to breath. I felt her aire holes and i felt this weird goo on them. It’s clear but definitely gooy. I’m not sure what to do. Any ideas. Thanks.

ill try and get some pictures of her tomorrow morning if she was feathers stuck to her face. You literally have to peel the feathers off. It’s like there was glue on her face.
How much ventilation do you have in their housing?
Have you added any new birds recently?

Try trimming some of the feathers from around the eyes and face, see if that helps keep the nostrils cleared of feathers. Then see if the nasal discharge continues. Hard to know if getting feathers stuck in the nares is causing the irritation or if you are dealing with mild respiratory illness.

How much ventilation do you have in their housing?
Have you added any new birds recently?

Try trimming some of the feathers from around the eyes and face, see if that helps keep the nostrils cleared of feathers. Then see if the nasal discharge continues. Hard to know if getting feathers stuck in the nares is causing the irritation or if you are dealing with mild respiratory illness.
They do have air flow as their door is made out of chicken wire with wood slats. poppy and her sister where added to the flock a few weeks ago. I’ll try and trim her feathers back.

Many respiratory infections are mild, and they will clear up on their own. However, if the chickens begin to behave lethargically, that would mean the infection ismaybe getting more serious, and then I would start them all on Tylosin or Tylan 50.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom