Silkies Don't Mix

Last night I went to check on our older chicks after we put them in there new pen and noticed one chick was laying down dead after a snake had tried to eat her but failed to fit her in it’s mouth! So sad as it was a beautiful white silkie and was going to be the one chick who stays with the flock. We brought the other four chicks inside to sleep in an old guinea pig cage in our laundry. Made a grave for the chick “Pom Pom” this morning.

Sorry for the loss of your little Romeo
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss also. :(

Maybe some 1/2 inch hardware cloth around the new pen?

Last night I went to check on our older chicks after we put them in there new pen and noticed one chick was laying down dead after a snake had tried to eat her but failed to fit her in it’s mouth! So sad as it was a beautiful white silkie and was going to be the one chick who stays with the flock. We brought the other four chicks inside to sleep in an old guinea pig cage in our laundry. Made a grave for the chick “Pom Pom” this morning.

Sorry for the loss of your little Romeo
Thank you for your kind words. And I'm terribly sorry for your loss of baby Pom Pom. So tragic.
Wow, I didn't even know Romeo was ill. Sorry for your loss. :(

Sounds like Marek's. And to be honest early culling is my choice too. Hate that you had to do it for Christmas, as if it isn't already hard enough. :hugs

Hope your other birds are well! :fl

Meet Romeo #2!!! My husband felt bad that we had to put him down, so he showed up with this handsome guy this morning! And what's even better, is that he loves my 6 month old baby silkies!!! I could not be happier!!!
20171228_165226.jpg

Meet Romeo #2!!! My husband felt bad that we had to put him down, so he showed up with this handsome guy this morning! And what's even better, is that he loves my 6 month old baby silkies!!! I could not be happier!!! View attachment 1220526
So cool, hope he stays amazing! Having new life coming does help to ease the sting of a recent loss a little. :love

My 6 month old "baby" silkies... lay eggs. ;)

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry for your loss also. :(

Maybe some 1/2 inch hardware cloth around the new pen?
We’ll see we did have proper mesh but the coop it’s self is 40 years old and must have had a few holes where we couldn’t see because we have raised chicks in there before. Anyways the chicks stay in the house every night till they find a new home.

Back
Top Bottom