SILKIES EXPENSIVE???

carinlynchin

Songster
10 Years
Feb 18, 2009
I just saw an ad for a silkie that was 220 bucks...then I saw other ads for 25 dollars....is there a difference...show quality is worth more? or how can you even tell the difference. I want to get probably 1 or 2 just because of their reputation for pets...

What do they normally go for?

It depends on what you would like.
I have gotten them for free and then I have spent a huge price. Most times you can pay $25 for a pair as people want to help get rid of roos.
I have mine for pets and broody hens. I raise a few chicks so I can have more broody hens. I like the bearded ones the best.
I have a certain colors I like but have yet to obtain them. Still an all, we have fell in love with the breed. No matter the color, they can be very loving.
I have one very spoiled and loving hen that I hatched from eggs that I got from Fluff N Stuff Silkies. Melanie sent me more than I paid for and half of them hatched. This one hen bonded with me and she would love for me to hold her and pet her all day. I adore her as much as she does me. She is a blue color even though I prefer buff but color is only skin deep.
Buy from a reputable breeder and you will get good quality pets as well as good temperaments. I have gotten skittish and not so loving Silkies from people that had inferior stock.

The difference in pet quality and show quality in Silkies can be very significant as far as price goes. They are all usually sweet tempered birds and a joy to own. My only suggestion would be try to get yours from a Silkie Breeder. The ones from Hatcheries are not very representative of the Silkie breed as far as I have seen. I have seen a White Silkie sell for $ 800 plus on eggbid. If you have really nice birds and someone wants or needs a good bird the sky is the limit.

Quote:
What is the one on your avatar...it looks like a silkie..but like a chunkier version
smile.png

Any suggestions?? I am having to brood my goslings for about a month or so, so if I get chicks I'd have to have them about the same time. After this I am not looking into brooding anymore (too much work) this year. I can't buy eggs because I'd be doing this all summer....do you have any suggestions on breeders I can get either chicks or young birds from?

Carine

I think that the difference between pet qualty and show quality prices is the same for birds as it would be for dogs. Around here for instance you can go to the shelter and get a german sheppard or you can go to the professional breeder with a blood line of champion dogs. When you choose the shelter you may be getting a wonderful lifelong companion or not....you may be getting the best qualities of the breed and know what to expect, or not. When you go through a reputable breeder you are increasing the chances of getting that high quality bird that best represents the standards of perfection for that breed. The real costs of developing a line of quality birds are not as simple as hatching one batch of eggs, it is the accumulated cost of many years of selectively breeding and culling to keep only the best genetics going foreward.
If you are interested in showing birds competitively it will be worth the money to invest in high quality stock, but if you are looking for a pet only somewhere in the middle will probably suit.

Yea, I am not big into shows...Actually have never been in one. My dog in Peru went to one but the trainer took her and thats about as far as it went. I would like to start showing but as a small hobby and just for fun...but when it comes to driving over an hour to get to a show.....nah....not for me. call me lazy
smile.png

But I still want a pretty one...

Last edited:
It depends on what you would like.
I have gotten them for free and then I have spent a huge price. Most times you can pay $25 for a pair as people want to help get rid of roos.
I have mine for pets and broody hens. I raise a few chicks so I can have more broody hens. I like the bearded ones the best.
I have a certain colors I like but have yet to obtain them. Still an all, we have fell in love with the breed. No matter the color, they can be very loving.
I have one very spoiled and loving hen that I hatched from eggs that I got from Fluff N Stuff Silkies. Melanie sent me more than I paid for and half of them hatched. This one hen bonded with me and she would love for me to hold her and pet her all day. I adore her as much as she does me. She is a blue color even though I prefer buff but color is only skin deep.
Buy from a reputable breeder and you will get good quality pets as well as good temperaments. I have gotten skittish and not so loving Silkies from people that had inferior stock.
I am with the peacock lady. I also have beautiful free roaming peacocks. My silkies bred (by accident) with a Rode island Red. All chicks in Florida summer heat, turned out to be roosters. The cross silkie/RRed are viril and wanting to mate frequently. this is too much for a silkie hen. I know nee to get rid of these roosters. They are as beautiful with blue black ,green and pearl tones. I will ship just pay shipping fee. Facebook reggieragu or reginavictoria. They are so beautiful, but I have only two hens.

Back
Top Bottom