Silkies for first time chicken owner?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by justmeinflorida, Sep 19, 2011.

1. justmeinflorida

justmeinflorida Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Zephyrhills, Florida
    Ok, so I've been trying to narrow down the birds I like the best and I was really sure that I wanted Red Sexlink hens. Then I spoke to a breeder in my area and she said to read/learn/look at Silkies. And now I think I've changed my mind. Silkies have to be the cutest darn thing I've ever seen...So here's a few question, since I keep reading different things about them.

When you pull there eggs, will they peck you?

Do they make good first time pets?

How many on average eggs do they lay per week?

I wouldn't mind if me and my daughter could show them at our State Fair...who should I buy show quality hens from?

How do I know what a show quality hen looks like?

how long do they live and lay?

Is there anything else you think I should know about them, that I haven't already asked...LOL?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make a good decision before I get our birds...that way we will ALL be happy, us and the girlies.

2. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:welcome to the world of "what chickens are best for me"...

no, they will not peck you when you get their eggs... unless they are broody, they might, but it's more a show to scare you than anything... they don't bite as hard as roosters... it's funny/cute...

they are great pets, but white does get dirty... get buff or black... LOL... being bantams makes them the perfect pet...

it varries on hen really... i had a silkie hen that gave me one egg a week, others 6 eggs a week...

quality hens...? hmm... i really like sundown silkies buffs... but there are always people on here selling gorgeous birds...

read up on the standards of perfection for silkies... or google, "show quality silkie" under images to see some nice birds...

not sure how long they live and lay... i'm sure like other birds their laying slows down after 3-4 years in bantams... live..? not sure...

um... they have vaulted skulls and that means on top of their heads they have a soft spot... kind of why i got rid of them all... i don't like carrying newborn babies, and that's what it felt like to me... i also had one that would bob his head when nervous... i guess he bumped his head on something at an early age or something... i gave him lots of vitamins, but it still didn't make a difference...

now...

have you considered cochin bantams...??

3. justmeinflorida

Sep 16, 2011
    Zephyrhills, Florida
    Quote:Yes...I looked at them but I think the Silkies have the funniest/cutest look about them. My daughter (12yrs old ) is already head over heels for them and we haven't even gotten them yet...LOL!

4. blkpoodles

blkpoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Winsted, CT
    im a first time chicken owner and i love love love my silkies, my silkie rooster is the friendliest loveable rooster i got,(i have 3 different breed roosters so all my girls can have a boy friend cause im weird like that) but yea i have a 10 month old daughter and he has not once tried to peck her or show any aggression, the nieces and nephews can just come and pick him up, he is very much a gentle man to the hens and lets them know when he finds goodies and gives the goodies to them rather then eating them himself, winter gotta watch for snow building up on their feet feathers, and they also cant fly well, so if you're gonna let them free range watch for predators, i only let mine free range when im home.

5. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Silkies are get and they should be fine for you and DD [​IMG]

6. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    if you want real chickens get american breeds. Real chicken lovers eat their chickens that is what their bred for.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  7. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Just remember, they are individuals. My adults are more apt to follow me around like puppies, while the half grown hang back and watch for what's coming. Chicks bail. Just because most have birds that are easy to handle or roosters that are friendly it does not mean they are all that way. I've got one old girl that every time I pick her up its like the first time all over again. A rooster that when he works up his nerve will flog me. Its how they're wired. Fortunately they are the minority.

When it comes to purchasing a good or high quality Silkie, know your breeder. Know that they've been established with the breed for a while, that they have a good rep. There are breeders out there that are basically Silkie mills. There are several breeders on this board who would be very good to deal with.

Get whatever color you want. If you don't then eventually you'll be selling what you got so you can buy what you wanted in the first place. I raise whites. I let them play in the mud yesterday but I can bet you when I go in this morning they'll be perfectly white again. Research your colors because they all have their inherent issues. White is the only one that is consistent in color, blacks can have discoloration in the hackles of the male, partridge is a tough color to get right, buff has issues with smut and black.

It might cost you in the beginning but begin with good breeder birds, not necessarily show birds. That will help you build from there.

8. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:X2

9. justmeinflorida

Sep 16, 2011
    Zephyrhills, Florida
    Quote:Snow won't be a problem for me here in Central Florida...we don't get to many cold days. Sometimes between Feb. and April we get some 30-40 cold snaps but they only hang around for a few days at best. I'm also not letting mine free range unless I'm with them. That's why I haven't gotten any yet, still building the run for their coop. We have some ridiculously HUGE hawks in my area...I swear the first time I saw one it I thought was an eagle...LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by