1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkies for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shober, Sep 19, 2012.

1. shober

shober Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I had heard here that silkies are not good for eating. Today in a market flyer (from the Hong Kong market) they have silkie chickens for $7.99 each. Needless to say I was surprised!!

2. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I don't know about taste but I assume they just taste like chicken! [​IMG] The skin and meat is gray/black which is why you rarely see them for sale as food, it freaks some people out. Personally I find them simply too cute to eat!

3. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    We just turned a mature silkey roo into soup, and have oven baked a couple in the past. The black skin seems to turn some off. I recall they taste like (good) chicken. I have read somelace that silkey cures many medical probems, especially a good assist to your sex life. I wish I saved the reference.

4. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    Silkies are a delicacy in the asian community(esp the chinese), but most noticeably are more for a medicinal purpose much like normal chicken soup when one is feeling under the weather but with more health benefits(sorry i don't know of any sources that supports this claims scientifically just my experience of what i've been told and have tried myself. It is often boil whole(but can be cut to pieces with bones if not a bantam size) with lots of herbs stuff in the cavity or just in the broth and cook for a good 30 -45 minutes or longer till fully cook. But not only are silkies the only kind but many of the black skins breeds. Sorry i can't recall the exact taste(been a long time) of the meat but but like one other user said taste just like chicken but with a stronger and leaner taste but still very delish. But not only is it made into soup but many other various way including curry. So if any one is curious they should try one, will be something different from the everyday chicken recipes.[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RuChicken

RuChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2012
    Hampton, GA
    At the local Asian market, they sell for $9.99 a bird with only the feathers removed...... Makes me wonder if I am in the wrong business.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't know why silkies would not be good for eating. They are made out of chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by