Silkies from Ideal

Depends on what you want to do with them. As pets, they will be great. If you want to show, you should get from a breeder.
smile.png

90% are junk if you want anything over pet quality. I have ordered from them several times, great people, dont get me wrong there, but they were all some of the ugliest , poorest quaility "silkies" I have ever seen. Many had 3-4 toes, not 5, none were vaulted, none were bearded (dispite the breaded and non bearded litsing they have) lots of them had pink or white skin, and very little foot feathering.
By 4 months they all looked like vultures, every time. Just to clarify, this is many orders, over several years totaling 100 or so silkies of about every color they have, not just a 1 time order for a few. I'd always add 15-20 silkies on every order, hoping for some to at least work for at least color projects for me with mine , NOPE, all went to an old farmer friend down the road. Seen many post on other threads here with the same results. Ideal is a great hatchery and I admire them a lot, but they need to severly rework their silkie project and get some better quality birds in there, not show quality, but at least ones that are all true to the breed.

scanned threw a few pages, I'm on that thread too, looks like most are agreeing with what I said, and the pics they have on there are backing it up, didnt go threw all of them, but the 3-4 pages I did look at, all looked like little buzzards to me still, LOL

I've ordered a few of each color from Ideal. ALL of them had the correct skin color, # of toes, got a few that were bearded-some not, etc....I doubt they were show quality, but they were all super super cute after they got out of that akward stage!
wink.png

Their whites are Great, their Blues and Blacks are pretty good, but their buffs are terrible.

Edited again because I cant even spell "Edited"

Last edited:
Here are a couple of 2 and 3 week old Ideal Silkies - note the difference in type between them, although they both have black skin and 5 toes. I'll be interested in seeing how these develop.

22131_3-7-10_noche001.jpg

22131_3-7-10_dia042.jpg

Back
Top Bottom