silkies have weird eye issues....please help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by barredbeans7, Sep 25, 2012.

1. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    three of my silkies have dry skin on the ear part where it is fuzzy and have it all around eyes. I have a white one who's eyes are slightly swollen. I wasn't sure if it was Avian Influenza or just something normal. Just 2 days ago i had a barred rock who had the same stuff exept she had super swollen skin around her eyes and diarreah, and she had little white/cream colored bugs that were all over her face. we later had to put her to rest because of the fear it was contagious. [​IMG]I am so worried for my flock! please help!!![​IMG]

THANKYOU

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    Lice and possible fowl pox infection. Use the search function on the site and it will bring up a bunch of threads on treatment.

Jim

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    The bugs are lice and the "dry skin" you're seeing are lice eggs. An advanced infestation can irritate their eyes and can kill a small chicken because they feed on the chicken's blood supply. There are several treatments for lice, but around the face and eyes, caution must be taken. I bathe any infested birds with flea and tick shampoo in the bath water and apply 2 drops of Advantage for dogs on the back of their necks. I also sprinkle diatomaceous earth and Sevin dust in their coops/roosts and dust bathing areas monthly and they take care of it themselves.

4. barredbeans7

barredbeans7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    so if i bathe them it will get rid of the lice? how do i get rid of the lice eggs...i also want your opinion...i have my birds free-ranged right now, but when i had them in a run they didnt get all the illnesses that they have right now...my birds have had worms and now lice...should i go back to putting them in a run? [​IMG]
    thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by