Silkies in both of my NR360s - Hatch-A-Long

MadamContrary

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Very South Texas
So I have had a year full of Cockerels!!!
I have wanted Silkies forever and this was the year I finally got some and they ALL turned out to be cockerels. My two hatches prior (of different breeds) ended up all cockerels except for 2 birds. So I think all these boys (I can't keep in my area) have driven me to madness 🤪 I have filled both incubators with silkie eggs from two sources, one set is from a trade with a breeder, she took my last 3 cockerels and gave me 18 eggs. My best friend gave me some of her silkie eggs and some EE silkie crosses. I HAVE to get a few pullets with that many eggs set!!!! My husband said I've officially gone off the deep end 😆

I gave up and ordered hatchery silkies because I don’t have an incubator (YET) and was being very impatient, so I ended up ordering 10 bantams and only 3 out of the 10 are silkies. 😂 I hope I end up with a rooster and 2 pullet silkies, but I’ll have to wait to find out. Good luck with your future chicks and please post pictures when they hatch. Also, is this a good incubator? I’ve been looking and this one is one the top of my list, but I’m not sure. :)

I gave up and ordered hatchery silkies because I don’t have an incubator (YET) and was being very impatient, so I ended up ordering 10 bantams and only 3 out of the 10 are silkies. 😂 I hope I end up with a rooster and 2 pullet silkies, but I’ll have to wait to find out. Good luck with your future chicks and please post pictures when they hatch. Also, is this a good incubator? I’ve been looking and this one is one the top of my list, but I’m not sure. :)
Good luck getting the right sexes!
It's a pretty good incubator for the price point. It has a few design flaws (mostly the lid needs a bit of finesse and there's no lip around the base to hold in chicks or eggs when you lift it) and a limited capacity when using the automatic turner, but it holds temp and humidity very steadily. I like enough to buy a second 🙂

I totally meant to keep up with this and add candling photos. Woops. First batch hatched, all black babies both full blood silkies and some silkie-EE crosses.
IMG_20210607_144318_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210607_144309_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210607_092732_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210609_092725.jpg
IMG_20210609_092708.jpg
IMG_20210609_083824.jpg

Only 9 hatched from the second batch of eggs, I almost suspect this "breeder" just gave me leftover from shipped eggs. Several pipped on the wrong end and a lot of late quitters 😕 She did give me the eggs in a box from shipped eggs, but the eggs were in her own personalized egg cartons 🤷 They came out of two very different colored and sized eggs a larger tan and a small white, all are white except one I think is a blue. Some have barely visible chipmunk stripes down thier backs, it doesn't show in the photos, could those be buff or something?

Back
Top Bottom