Silkies in winter

Jun 18, 2020
Central NY
We are in the process of winterizing all our pens and coops. We havw had chickens through winter before but never had bantams or feather footed birds. Is there anything extra we should be doing to ensure our silkies have a safe and healthy winter. We also have a featger footed brahma but she is much larger. I just dont want them to have foot problems.

If they go outside make sure they have something like hay or straw to stand on. That's for all chickens. I haven't found silkies to be less winter hardy as long as your coop is adequate.

Not sure what temp you have there but my Silkies seem fine in -2 degrees and also ventured out in the snow although not on the snow covered ground. I have noticed they don't like wind though so make sure your coop is draft free so they have somewhere to go if it's very windy. Also if it's rainy they stay in their coop area too. I use clear tarps in Winter to stop wind draft and allow warmth from the sun to get through - but still plenty of ventilation at the top. Some days I thought it was way too cold and yet they still come out of their covered coop area into the outside run area.
IMG20200805121246.jpg IMG20200805121435.jpg

Back
Top Bottom