Silkies info

llandry

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2012
jersey shore, nj
I've never had silkies before and have 5 straight runs that are 6 weeks old. They all look identical to each other. What features do they get to start telling gender and when do they start to develop them?

Cockerels will have a larger comb, tall stance, streamers, & will crow.

Pullets will have a rounded crest, Pom Pom tail, don't stand tall, & won't crow.
Pullets sometimes will have streamers, but its not common.

Still early to tell but I think I have 3 pullets and a roo. 3 girls have very poofy round puffs on their heads. One has a Mohawk that looks like I've put some gel in it lol. It's like long spikey hair. I just went to check on them and 2 of them were easy to get pics of. Here's 2 pics of poofy heads and 2 pics of the spikey head. View attachment 2285343 20200810_202343.jpg 20200810_202315.jpg 20200810_202238.jpg

I have 2 Silkies. I thought one was for sure a cockerel until she laid an egg! They are THE HARDEST to determine!

My "cockerel" had a mohawk with streamer-like feathers, much thicker legs than the other, and stood up straighter. She also had a bigger comb.

I have 2 Silkies. I thought one was for sure a cockerel until she laid an egg! They are THE HARDEST to determine!

My "cockerel" had a mohawk with streamer-like feathers, much thicker legs than the other, and stood up straighter. She also had a bigger comb.
Same here! They can be tricky...It's easier to tell when a boys a boy then when a girls a girl to me. Mine was bossy like a rooster and still is. She'll try to flog you if you don't give her what she wants fast enough. LOL.

Back
Top Bottom