Silkies: love them or hate them?

do any of you know how loud a slkie roster crows?

Loud enough, and often enough to tick off a close neighbor! They may be small, but they are ALL ROO!
gig.gif

I was hoping they where not loud because i was planing on getting one but i can't have a loud roster because my parents hate to hear them crow.
hit.gif

But thanks for telling me before I got one.

I was hoping they where not loud because i was planing on getting one but i can't have a loud roster because my parents hate to hear them crow.
hit.gif

But thanks for telling me before I got one.

ALL roosters will be loud. some louder then othrs, but basing s breed off one noisy roo isnt good, our pullets barely made any noise

unless you plan on getting a rooster. silkies arent loud

I was hoping they where not loud because i was planing on getting one but i can't have a loud roster because my parents hate to hear them crow. :hit
But thanks for telling me before I got one.

I would not get just one if you have other breeds. My poor little boy is lonely and no one will be his friend. He just hangs out by himself. Mine doesn't crow, probably because he is smart and saw what happened to the marans rooster getting chased and by those mean little bossy D'Uccle boys.

Comparing pullets to cockerels is not the same thing! My pullets are all very quiet. The cockerels are almost as loud as my Marans roos! They just have a higher pitch to their voices, and not quite the volume, but if someone does not like a rooster's crow, (I can't even imagine that!), they will drive those people to distraction! I have 5 Silkie cockerels at around 9 months old, and belive me, they can belt out the crows!! I also have 4 large fowl roos, so the Silkies feel like they have to be in constant competition. If you have NO other roos, or a neighbor that has roos, you may be ok. They tend to compete with other crowers, so if there is no competition, he may be much quieter for you! Thank God I live in the country, by myself, and I happen to LOVE all the crowing!
wink.png

Comparing pullets to cockerels is not the same thing! My pullets are all very quiet. The cockerels are almost as loud as my Marans roos! They just have a higher pitch to their voices, and not quite the volume, but if someone does not like a rooster's crow, (I can't even imagine that!), they will drive those people to distraction! I have 5 Silkie cockerels at around 9 months old, and belive me, they can belt out the crows!! I also have 4 large fowl roos, so the Silkies feel like they have to be in constant competition. If you have NO other roos, or a neighbor that has roos, you may be ok. They tend to compete with other crowers, so if there is no competition, he may be much quieter for you! Thank God I live in the country, by myself, and I happen to LOVE all the crowing!
wink.png

I love the crowing it's just There is a roster not to far awhay but you can bearly hear it crow and it only crows a few times a day. will he cause a roster to crow more?

Last edited:
I love the crowing it's just There is a roster not to far awhay but you can bearly hear it crow and it only crows a few times a day. will he cause a roster to crow more?

Yes. If you can hear him, your roo can hear him. If your roo has ladies he is trying to impress, the competition will begin. If you only have the roo and no hens, it may be a whole different story. Males vocalize to attract and keep females. If you have no females...well I've never been in that position, but I would think he wouldn't have much to crow about?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom