SILKIES. Male or Female

crazyelk

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Kentucky
I have silkies that are about 12 weeks old. What is the quickest and the easiest way to tell the sex of these birds?
Pics would be helpful.

Thanks much, Jason

Last edited:
It's really hard to tell when they're that young, or at any age for that matter. And they all develop differently, so the best advice I can give you is take good pics of your birds and post them for everyone else to see and put their opinions in.

There is no "quick and easy" way to sex them at 12 weeks. If you post pics, we can give it our best shot
smile.png

Hi Jason. With Silkies sexing is very difficult, but there are some indicators to look for. The crest is different in male and females. In males there will be spikey feathers of varying lengths flipping back toward the tail. The crest of the pullet is usually a puffball will all feathers of uniform length. The shape of the comb differs (size of comb in young birds is not a very good indicator). The males comb is wide from side to side. The female usually has a thinner comb that is longer from front to back. Body form and tail feathers are other indicators that I use.

What about these? Can you tell me anything about these pics?

14959_white_silkie.jpg
14959_splashnutter.jpg
14959_splash.jpg
14959_2_whites.jpg

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom