Silkies Of A Different Color

Okay, she said that these are the birds she started out with; gray and porcelean:

LL

And these are examples of what she created:

the reason i thought lavender was in the champagne is because i thought porcelain was a mix of lavender and buff. and she said she got her champagne from gray and porcelain mix. still learning, still asking tons of question
smile.png

so what is the make up of porcelains?

the reason i thought lavender was in the champagne is because i thought porcelain was a mix of lavender and buff. and she said she got her champagne from gray and porcelain mix. still learning, still asking tons of question
smile.png
so what is the make up of porcelains?
Yes, porcelain (self blue cream) is mix of lavender (self blue) and buff - at least first generation. Quote from George Mihalik "porcelain carries +-80% self blue and +-20% buff".

Seeing the above picture, I feel I have a champagne paint showgirl cockerel. He came from the same lines Deb and Bren were working with. I just assumed he is a "smutty" paint with only one or two paint markings. His mother is a very nice paint from Bren's flock and his father is a nice white showgirl roo. What should I breed him with?

Sell him to meee!!! I'lls send ya eggs back!
clap.gif

If not, then I'd say breed him to gray or porcelean.

LMAO @ chocolate chip silkies! Yes, for sure! LMK when you have eggs to sell! :D

Great tip about putting wax on the cracked egg! I'll have to try it and let you guys know how things look at candling!

Last edited:
I have another line of nice paints and also have some nice porcelains. I don't have a good black silkie hen but do have a pretty nice young black showgirl. Think I should breed him with porcelains? Or the black, or both?

I am wondering if all of you color lovers might have some ideas of what colors could come from my chickens. I just got my first rooster so I'm pretty excited.

PAINT SILKIE ROO x blue smooth sizzle
" " x buff sizzle ( she's realky blonde with some creamy white, some penciled feathers, and some red in her neck.
" " x buff silkie
" " x white showgirl
" " x black frizzled showgirl
" " x white frizzled cochin
" " x black frizzled cochin
" " x tolbunt frizzle
" " x porcelain frizzled silkie

whew!

I am wondering if all of you color lovers might have some ideas of what colors could come from my chickens. I just got my first rooster so I'm pretty excited.

PAINT SILKIE ROO x blue smooth sizzle
" " x buff sizzle ( she's realky blonde with some creamy white, some penciled feathers, and some red in her neck.
" " x buff silkie
" " x white showgirl
" " x black frizzled showgirl
" " x white frizzled cochin
" " x black frizzled cochin
" " x tolbunt frizzle
" " x porcelain frizzled silkie

whew!
blue paint & blue & black
mixed colour
unknown
paint & black
unknown
paint & black
mixed colour/pattern
mixed colour

frizzle inherits half the time; ditto with naked neck (in both cases I assume that the bird has only one copy of the gene; if two, it always inherits)
silkie is recesive, so both parents must contribute the gene.

Back
Top Bottom