Silkies?? on color *pics*

Quote:
Thats why everyone's here. Its just that Silkie breeders can get a little stern with their opinions sometimes. Everyone always knows better than the person before them.

Take all of your Buff chicks and when they are getting to be about breeding age, use the ones with the smallest amount of black in them and use those for breeding. If you always pick birds with the smallest amount of black and use them for breeding, over time and over a few generations you will reduce the amount of black that presents itself. The ultimate goal of anyone breeding buffs is to get a completely buff colored bird, with absolutely no black anywhere....

Quote:
Gee's with the amount of crosses you have, how do you know whats going to pop up in later generations?

My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Well I know that the question is just rhetoric after the PM you sent me, but I'll answer it anyway.
All my crosses are with colors that are compatible and by the 2nd generation or so you pretty much know the genotypes of what you are working with and there are no surprises left. To me that's better than working with birds for 10 or more generations just to find out they all now carry something you would never have introduced knowingly and you have to start back from square one. But that's just the way I do things. Others can do it whatever way they are comfortable with. I just share what I know and what I do with it in my own programs. I enjoy sharing what I've learned and can hope it will better the breed as a whole. Anyone reading the info I share can take whatever they can use and leave what they'd rather not use, or if it just doesn't apply to them.
idunno.gif

I'm also wondering why you think the crosses I'm using are way out there and that their outcome isn't really predictable. I've certainly seen them being done elsewhere also. White & Grey makes for Grey chicks, take out the Silver gene and the Grey becomes Partridge.
Black & Lavender is a common one and produces Black & Lavender.
Black/Blue/Splash is even more common and produces, well, Black, Blue & Splash.
All three of these programs are kept separate, so I don't understand the confusion?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom