Silkies Roosting with Bigger Birds

OvertheHenHouse

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
San Diego
I tried searching for this in the archives but couldn't find anything (although I'll bet it's there and I'm not searching properly...). I'm trying to get my young birds (14-16 weeks, mix of large birds and silkies) off the floor and onto the roosts. Up to now they huddle together in a corner of the coop at bedtime and I'm afraid someone will get squished - there's quite the commotion at bedtime. At this point some of them are up on the roosts but the majority are not, so I've been going in at sundown and lifting them up on the roosts. Here are my roosts (before the chickens moved in):
106404_roost_ready_for_move_in.jpg

There's a ramp leading up and a ramp inside the enclosure in case someone falls in. My question is whether I should try to get the silkies up on the roosts with the bigger birds? I'm not comfortable leaving just 2 of them to huddle together at night but I'm not sure about bringing them up (2' high). For the moment I've left a couple of EEs with them on the floor.
What do you think? Would appreciate any advice -

I keep a couple of Silkies and a very small Frizzle with my larger birds. I haven't had any problems with the arrangement to date. The smaller birds seem to have an easier time getting up to the roosts.

Thanks! The silkies haven't even tried to get up there, although the other birds fly up and down for fun and don't even bother with the ramp. I worry about the silkies because they don't fly and have the soft spot on their heads - don't want them too high up where they'll fall and land badly...

Quote:
I am new to silkies but I have some in with my ameraucanas all the same age and mostly they sleep on the floor but sometimes my silkies will sleep on the VERY low roosts I made for them...only about 2-3 inches off the ground..the ameraucanas still like to sleep in a pile...they all grew up together and they learnt this from the silkies...lol

Quote:
I am new to silkies but I have some in with my ameraucanas all the same age and mostly they sleep on the floor but sometimes my silkies will sleep on the VERY low roosts I made for them...only about 2-3 inches off the ground..the ameraucanas still like to sleep in a pile...they all grew up together and they learnt this from the silkies...lol

That's what they've been doing - exactly! They grew up together as well. I just worry that as the marans and brahmas get bigger, someone will get squished
sad.png
But the bigger birds are already starting to migrate over to the roosts on their own - I think I'll leave things alone for the time being.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom